You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:10 pm 

Humpty Dumpty potato chips may now contain sunflower oil :cry: . Although this news may not effect many families, it effects our family as our son is allergic to sunflower seeds/oil. I am still waiting for final confirmation from Humpty Dumpty in response to an email I sent to customer service; however, the FAQ's section of their website indicates they use a combination of canola oil and sunflower oil. I noticed the change just recently - the ingredient listing has changed from "canola oil" to simply "vegetable oil". Since pretty much all other potato chip manufacturers have switched to sunflower oil, I pretty strongly suspected Humpty Dumpty had followed suit. It turns out Humpty Dumpty was purchased by Old Dutch potato chips in March 2007 - I wonder if this is what prompted the change?

Does anyone know of a safe potato chip made with canola oil?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:42 am 

Can you have olive oil? If so, President's Choice makes one with olive oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Admin

I just googled Potato chips canola oil and came up with article:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/mighty-a ... off_1.html
the article is from february 2007 so you may have to check what they're doing now but it's a start (and I know you'd read the ables anyway :wink: )
Quote:
Read on for names and ingredients of the chip contestants and the Chip-Off winners:

Ruffles ("rRRRuffles Have Ridges"), a Frito-Lay brand (potatoes, vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed or sunflower, salt)

The chip contestants. (Kim O'Donnel)• Lay's Wavy, also a Frito-Lay brand (potatoes, sunflower oil, salt)

Utz Ripples, made by Utz of Hanover (potatoes, cottonseed oil, salt)

Utz "Crisp, all natural potato chips" (potatoes, cottonseed oil, salt)

Cape Cod Potato Chips, "old fashioned kettle-cooked" (potatoes, canola oil and salt)

Lays Classic (potatoes, sunflower oil, salt)

Terra Golds original potato chips (Yukon gold potatoes, canola oil and/or safflower, and/or sunflower oil, salt)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:10 am 

Sorry to hear that Julie -- I'll keep my eyes open for you :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:32 am 

Thanks for your speedy responses everyone :D . You guys are the best! I will have to check out some of the brands mentioned (and here I thought I'd read every potato chip bag in the aisle :wink: )

Obviously potato chips are a "treat" food, but it would be pretty hard having a 5 year old child at a birthday party and he/she can't even eat chips :cry: I felt I needed to find a safe substitute BEFORE we go to the next birthday party. Thanks again. In the meantime, if you happen to come across any other chips containing a safe oil, I would REALLY appreciate hearing from you!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:02 pm 

Baked Lays are made with corn oil. They are a little more expensive but hope they work for you!
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:03 am 

Are you sure they contain sunflower oil? I've checked many chips and they are one of the few that don't indicate sunflower oil on their labels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:42 pm 

Youngvader, Sorry for the long delay in replying to your email - I'm still catching up after being off the chat for awhile.

Humpty Dumpty chips USED to be made with canola oil... it said so right on the label. Sometime over the early part of the summer, my sister-in-law noticed that it now said "vegetable oil" (the canola oil had been replaced with "vegetable oil". I contacted Humpty Dumpty (which is now owned by Old Dutch), and the vegetable oil contains one of a few oils, including sunflower oil :(

Recently, I've discovered Equality Brand (found at Dominion, and maybe other stores) has potato chips made with canola oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:12 am 

I sent them an email and they never replied to me.