You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:57 pm 

We have used the 100% beef top dog weiners for the past 2 years. My daughter loves hot dogs - of course they are a special treat - maybe once a week for her in the summer. We were away in northern Ontario this past week and I could not find them up there. I was worried that they were being taken off the market. I phoned Maple Leaf and they are not being discontinued but now all top dog weiners from Maple Leaf are milk free (in addition to egg and nut). I am not sure when this change happened because when I was looking for hot dogs 2 years ago the only safe variety I found was the 100% beef type.

The woman I spoke to was so nice. She said that Maple Leaf is aware of increased allergies and has responded to consumer calls about milk and other allergies. I thought it was interesting to hear from her that the company records the specific type of allergies that consumers call about. The more calls they receive about allergies, the more aware of the consumer demand for safe foods. Just one more reason to call companies regularly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Wow, we're going camping in 2 weeks time and this sounds great!
I'll call Maple Leaf about tree nuts. Thanks!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:20 pm 

Sounds like a possible treat for ds. Do you know if there is soy in the Top Dog wieners?

Thanks,
Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

I was at the store today getting the UPC code to contact them and I'm pretty sure I saw soy protein listed as an ingredient on the original Top Dog package but can't remember about the All Beef version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Response from Maple Leaf:
Quote:
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Maple Leaf Top Dogs Original Wieners and All Beef. We appreciate your interest and concern in this matter.

We have checked with our Quality Assurance Department and have confirmed that there is no dairy, egg, peanut or tree nuts present in this product or the facilities.