You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kingsmill Egg Replacer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:19 am 

This works so much better than the standard b.powder/water/oil combos. It contains guar gum which holds cakes/cookies/etc. together much better. It's a powder that comes in a box equivalent to 100 eggs - only about $6 a box. 1 tsp. of powder plus 2 tbsps. water equals 1 egg. Available in maritimes at Atlantic Superstores in organic foods section next to pharmacy. Also available online at Toronto Hospital for Sick Children Specialty Food Shop. Website address is https://www.sickkids.on.ca/sfs_site/sho ... ervice.asp . Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:26 pm 

Thank you so much for your recommendation! This works SO much better than the baking powder/water/oil substitute we have been using. I searched for this product locally (Oakville, Ontario), and couldn't find it, so I contacted one of the distributors in a neighbouring city (distributors may be found on the Kingsmill website), and I had to wait a few days, but someone called me back with a location where I could find the product. For those living near Mississauga, this product can be found at Dominion at Meadowvale Town Centre (Winston Churchill, south of the 401). It was priced at only $4.79 per box, and is equivalent to 100 eggs per box. I made sure the manager of the store was informed that we were VERY pleased to find this product in the store.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:18 pm 

Hi Julie, I'm glad you were able to find it and that you're pleased with the results. It changed my (baking) life when I found it - I used to dread baking things my daughter could eat as they would flop about 80% of the time - nothing worse than spending a few hours (which is alot when you have a 3 year old and a 9 month old) baking a cake or cookies or whatever, only to have them fall apart at the first bite, or not even be edible. Now I look forward to trying out new recipes and baking our old standby favorites like chocolate chip cookies (President's Choice decadent chocolate chips contain no milk products (my daughter is both egg and milk allergic)) or peanut butter cookies. You can bake with just about any recipe (i.e. not a "food allergy cookbook" recipe) using the KER, soy milk and milk-free margarine. Happy baking!
P.S. I have even made pancakes from scratch using the KER and they turn out great! Let me know if you need a recipe.