You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:05 am 

I am curious if anyone has tried sunflower butter. I am okay with peanuts, but I work in a school with a ban. Some of the kids have been bringing sunflower butter sandwiches instead, and I saw a jar the other day at the health food store and was curious. But it is really expensive to try it and ave a problem! The 'flower' part worries me because of my oral allergy syndrome---could this be an issue with birch pollen cross-reaction, somehow, because it is a plant? Or could my other allergies (corn, green beans, tree nuts) be an issue here? Do you think this product is safe for me to try?

I have never reacted to a tree nut that I know of, but my apple reaction (cross-reaction oral allergy syndrome from birch pollen, we think) was quite severe and I almost used the epi-pen. Since then, I have ad lesser reactions to raw peaches and plums (a shame, as I enjoy them) and as far as fruits go, have been sticking with grapes, banana, citrus and watermelon. No problems so far. But if you presented me with a new exotic fruit to try, I would not eat it :) I guess I am a little gun-shy now with foods I have not eaten before.

So, with that said...thoughts on sunflower butter?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:54 am 

I don't have any allergies and I don't give it to my daughter with the allergies. She's super picky and I think she's still too young to understand the difference between Sunbutter and PB. I also only eat it when she's not around.

Anyways - before she had allergies I was a huge PB fan. I LOVE Sunbutter.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:33 am 

Hi ficbot,

You might want to be cautious if you react to foods which cross-react with ragweed. (sunflower seeds cross react)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:45 pm 

Thanks, Helen. At $6 a jar, I think I'll pass. Soy butter is tolerable :) It's just hard sometimes because I can't have cream cheese due to dairy issues, and I can't have tofutti cheese because of the corn starch, and I can't have cashew/almond butter due to the tree nuts. I actually CAN have peanuts, but that's the one that's a problem for everyone else :)

When allergies collide :) I have heard of some schools insisting on only fruit and veggie snacks, and that's another that would be hard for me. As is, I am very cautious during my lunch duty days---I have never had a contact reaction to anything, but then again, I uneventfully ate apples for 28 years before having an anaphylactic reaction to them, so who knows what will happen...

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:52 pm 

Just reread your first post----I see you can have bananas and melon. Everyone in my immediate family (4 out of 5 of us) who have a ragweed allergy and have problems with some foods which cross react with ragweed can't have bananas or melon. Not that you would definitely be okay with sunflower seed---I can definitely see why you would want to be cautious. So no advice--just throwing this info out there!

Another option for lunch---hemp seed butter, although this is probably expensive as well. The last time I checked Manitoba Harvest *only* processes hemp seed--so no X-contamination with tree nuts. I can't have hemp.

It can be hard when there are too many allergies to deal with in one setting. At least as a teacher you personally don't have to go through allergy awareness training :)