You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Quinoa
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:01 pm 

I picked up a package of Quinoa -- a South American "supergrain" that has a lot of protein and iron. I called the company, Ancient Harvest, first, and they told me that the quinoa doesn't come into contact with other ingredients. Quinoa was recommended to us by our nutritionist. I'll try it slowly to be sure I don't react to the grain itself. It was also recommended for our baby, so I may try preparing it for her as well.

More info. at: www.quinoa.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 pm 

Thank you Andrea -- that was on my "to do" list...find a "safe" quinoa! I'll have to see if I can find that brand. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 pm 

I've heard that quinoa is not likely to cause allergic reactions . . . but I did react. It could have been a cross contamination issue because it was packaged at the health store. But then again, I'm allergic to things like corn and potatoes, so the fact that I reacted to quinoa says nothing at all about its allergenicity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm 

Hi Andrea,

I'm intolerant/allergic to a lot of food, so I too, turned to Quinoa. Have been eating the organic gluten free Gogo Quinoa white quinoa and had not reacted to it, until I tried the red and white quinoa mix of the same brand. So I will switch again to the all white. It also comes in flakes for oatmeal like hot cereals or to mix in meatloaf or meatballs. Haven't got the nerve to try it yet...

I react to a lot of common food, both because of gluten contamination, for allergic reasons or for their too high sometimes hidden level of acidity (as liver tonight...). I'll be so floored (well, probably not so much...)and majorely depressed if I'm to start reacting to Quinoa...

Good luck...my feeling is you'll both be ok if you stick to organic and certified safe quinoa.

France: Allergic to Sulfas, dustmites. Intolerant to: All nuts, peanuts, soy (all forms), rice, apples, milk products, sesame seeds, corn and all legumes, vegetable coating on caplet form or gel caps medicines. More and more easily indisposed by smoke and dust.