You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:18 pm 

I couldn't post about this at the time... I was too upset!

So, while meal prep for our kids doesn't often fall behind, we generally forget about us (we're so restricted that DH and I frequently have our real meals after we get the kids to bed and simply snack at the table with them on good days - please don't judge us!). Anyway, I ran out to a MAJOR grocery chain one night to get some "ready" things to contribute to dinner (likely not worth the effort due to allergen risks and the extreme caution and clean up required). So, as we all do, I lined up to pay. Annoyed, wanting to just get home and you know the feeling - they never have enough cashiers open... so I wait... then as my turn comes, the cashier reaches for my items and I panicked! DD is contact reactive to egg and DAIRY - the clerk was EATING PIZZA WHILE CHECKING OUT CUSTOMERS!!!! Have you ever heard of such a thing?! Is it just me to think that (a) it's gross and (b) it's GROSS! not to mention allergen and general sanitary issues? I mean, it's a handle with your hands food and I suspect that the little checkout keyboards are not cleaned all that often...
Despite my shock, I backed away then found a manager to ask if this was acceptable in their store (it wasn't). Still, one of those :shock: moments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Aw Renie! No one knows the anxiety a trip to the grocery store can cause. I like to think that we have a good handle on things here but I still get anxiety attacks.
I personally hate the wet spot on the conveyor belt (what is that? Milk? Raw chicken?).
I like to use the self-check out because I can place items straight into the bag from the cart. (I still feel guilty for taking away someones job and I think we should bet a discount for this)
I'm glad you spoke to the manager.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:22 am 

I have been in a simialr situation. People eating while waiting on me. I have so many allergies that often I am allergic to their food. I leave with hives on my face. :roll:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Ditto - I was not long ago cashing out at a retailer where the clerk was eating from a bag of peanuts. Great. I let her know that someone else would need to touch my stuff.

She was apologetic, kind of embarrassed, but why is it kosher these days for clerks to eat while serving you? It's first of all, plain rude, then secondly there are today's widespread allergy concerns. ... Dumb.

You might want to drop the store manager a note. It's surprising how receptive they can sometimes be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 pm 

The wet spot. Well, I've caused a bit of a stir over that. I keep my stuff in the cart, refusing to put anything on the conveyer belt. Trying desperately to get the cashier's attention to ask from something to clean it with -- no dear, dry paper towel isn't good enough, I'm putting MY FOOD on that belt.

I've only once found a cashier eating when I was in the line-up. I insisted she wash her hands before touching my stuff. She apologized, and asked what i was allergic to. Your germs was my response. Said with a smile of course. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:32 pm 

Allergies aside, that is just plain GROSS.

If I think too much about allergies at the grocery store , I would never go. At this time of year I particularly like the huge open bins of nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:15 pm 

as a person who works as a cashier i know i'm guilty of eating while working, at my grocery store job it's policy to eat in the break room, but at my arena job we're usually so short staffed (or am alone) that i have no choice but not go on break but i need to eat when i'm on my feet for 8-10 hours... so i generally try to eat at down time. if i'm alone i have to eat at my cash and cover my mouth and nod when ppl come, and when i'm short i just kind of hide in a corner but i have to be aware of what's going on and jump in and help when i need to. i understand from a guests stand point it doesn't look good, and i feel guilty all the time, and i'm sure i'm not the only peson who is in the same boat, that it's like i NEED to eat something or i'm gonna pass out.

as my lttle way of helping though i have stopped bringing peanut butter sandwiches, and reprimand my staff when they bring peanuts and nuts into the concession stand cause it's one of the things we are VERY cautious about with kids (we can't do much about milk cause pizza pizza is a sponsor, and almost all the other major allergens are cooked in some fashion in the kitchen) i even went so far as to cut out my peanut butter cookies and my chocolate chip walnut cookies to bring to work just to be on the safe side i did make coconut drops tho caue our popcorn is made with coconut oil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:07 pm 

(warning to all - it's an emotional response while my daughter is in bed recovering from some trace "contact" reaction)

dustytiger - I can appreciate that people HAVE to work and that conditions can be LESS than pefect... I have been there myself and in my own ignorance before my DD was born have no doubt introduced risk unknowingly for others...
I am happy that you are making things safe-R for PEANUT allergic people people but seriously, there are many other allergens which can be EQUALLY life threatening even though they don't get the same "STAR" factor as peanut/nut. Those policies exist for a reason and frankly it scares me FAR more to think someone is eating on the sly (and touching the things we need to take home into our kitchen) and giving me a false sense of security... I don't expect the world to become allergen friendly... I don't expect much truth be told BUT I HOPE for hygiene and the cheese on that pizza pizza can literally KILL some people with dairy allergy in the wrong circumstance. If people are not in a place to WASH their hands, they should not be eating and handling other people's food. It is not just for allergens. But when allergens come into the equation, people who aren't living with it have the luxury of forgetting that their ignorance can make people sick and even potentially kill them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Renie-I appreciate that you started your thread with a warning.

I think that we need to recognise what contributes to the fact that people do eat at their stations and this can be an issue in any service that deals directly with the public in a hands on way (the amusement park ride operator who assists kids on and off rides/health care workers eating at their station and then dealing hands on with patients).

Perhaps we should make a comment to the management of the facility when these things happen so that they can deal with the issue (not following the rules or not having adequate staff on shift). People need washroom breaks and meal breaks. People need to have standards of hygiene met.

According to the National guidelines for food safety below, it says nothing about eating at your station. It only states that you need to wash your hands after handeling raw foods, commencing work of if you need to taste food you need to use a clean utensil.

Personal Hygiene (FRFS Code - Section 5.0)
Handwasing Wash hands
:
- before commencing work and handling clean ware
- after smoking, sneezing or coughing, toilet use, handling raw foods, waste and soiled objects and clearing tables
Use sinks designated for handwashing
Warm water, soap, lather and friction
Wash between fingers and use brush for fingernails
Minimum 20 seconds
Rinse with warm water running down
Dry with single-use paper towel or hot air
Do not wipe hands on clothes, cloths or aprons

Personal habits Change gloves when contaminated
Do not touch body: nose, hair, mouth, etc.
Do not open bags by blowing into them
Do not taste foods with fingers or lick fingers
If food needs to be tasted, use clean utensils only

Working when ill Communicable disease:
- Illness in humans transmitted directly or indirectly from an infected person or animal, or the environment
- Symptoms: diarrhea, fever, vomiting, jaundice and/or sore throat with fever
- Advise management if suffering from a communicable disease
Do not work when ill (e.g. infections, flu) or with injuries to hands, unless it is in an area that will not result in contamination of the food (management discretion)

Clothing Restrain hair
Wear clean clothing and uniforms
Change when necessary

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/pubs/hpf ... pp1_e.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:24 pm 

I really should not post when I am in my current dark place...

OK - so the guidelines need to be revised for sure but there is also room for intrepretation (both ways)
Quote:
Do not taste foods with fingers or lick fingers
in my case for the original post, really eating pizza with your hands isn't far from this mark. And I truly do get that people may need to eat (I worked at a bakery and as a waitress in my younger years - standing jobs, serving people with long shifts - I know that employment laws or not, you don't always get your breaks...). but do feel that it should be within the policy of the workplace. That way, I can choose to support organisations whose policies are within my comfort zone and not go to those that are not - to me, it is a matter of educated decision making and I want the right to do it and have some level of trust in it. And when I encountered the pizza offended, I didn't make a fuss and I did speak to mgmt (partly b/c if it was acceptable, I simply wouldn't shop thre anymore).
I don't know, some things seem like "no brainers" to me. If you have to eat while serving, is it so difficult to support having an antibacterial lotion/cleaner so that employees don't starve yet it is more hygenic and allergen friendly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 pm 

In recent months, I've seen HOSPITAL staff eating in the ER from TIM HORTONS! (it seems EVERY hospital now comes equipped with a Tim Hortons on location). Considering how many emergency patients are seen in the ER suffering from allergic reactions, isn't is absolutely incredible to see that these people are eating foods known to be of concern to those with food allergies?! Let's face, food is absolutely everywhere! No place seems to be free of food... even places where food was never allowed (i.e. hospital emergency rooms, libraries, live theatre, etc.) We must work very hard at educating our children about this reality... I just don't see that it is going to change... in fact, I think we are just going to see it more and more... people eat everywhere these days. I think we have to raise our children with this awareness, and ensure that we protect them and teach them how to protect themselves.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:05 am 

i do understand there are other allergies, and i do wash my hands after eating and all of that that is proper hygine (sometimes less so when i'm only doing cash, eat, take cash, or just wash my hands if i need to get something other then change) and for the most part we use tongs (one for each different kind of food but again can come in contact with the wrong thing such as a seasme seed from a bagel on a cookie, or some cheese from the pizza on the hot dog cause it's busy and someone is using the one pair tho we do stick with hot food tongs for hot food and different tongs for baked stuff) so that's why i don't trust that our products don'tt have cross contamination with other items wethat are in the stand (or kitchen) on any given day. (pre-packaged stuff definatly the better choice)

milk for example; there's milk in hot chocolate power and there is now way to dump that stuff into the bin without having basically dust particles going everywhere (the dust on the machines i get up on a laddar to clean is 50% dust and 50% hot chocolate power so those particles are everywhere as long as any other allergens that in the power based mix) so the reason for the whole everything we sell COULD be an issue is because of the tools we use are cleaner then our hands, even with gloves on, and honestly i find that in food service people half of their hygiene when they are always wearing gloves cause younger workers seem to think that gloves are to make the guests THINK they are hygienic and thus don't wash their hands. if i had serious allergies i would tell everyone i came in contact with wearing gloves to wash their hands and slap on a new pair (i cannot tell you the amount of times i have to reprimand new workers for not changing gloves when they are contaminated even when they automatically wash their hands when they do the same thing not wearing gloves)

i really only know a small portion of what you all live with on a daily basis with life threatening allergies that most people don't understand nor car to learn to understand. one of the main reasons i keep lurking on this forum is to learn to do my job better, and then pass it along to my staff, and be able to give costomers a (sometimes brutally) honest answer when they ask about if something is safe for them to eat if they have an allergy. there are times i wonder how some of you lead any kind of normal life, i'm paranoid by nature and would just curl up in a corner and be afraid to touch ANYTHING for fear of it coming in contact with what it shouldn't have

i didn't mean to let on that we don't clean things, or wash our hands, or try to keep up with practices of good hygiene, it just didn't seem important to what i was typing yesterday and i didn't think to put that in. we do wash our hands, tables, equipment, ect but like any food service the line ups always come first so at times things can fall through the cracks and we don't ever want to make people sick so we warn people we can't gauruntee there is no cross contamination beacause we don't want to make people sick

as for the comment on food everywhere, since being on the board i've noticed that more, like bus drives now eat while driving see why i don't know how you do it? yikes scary, scary stuff you're the ones that deserve the gold stars, and won't ask for them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:46 pm 

Hey dustytiger- I hadn't been intending to make my response directed to you but in re-reading, I can see that I was unfairly venting when really I am frustrated with family, "friends" who don't understand and the risks that the holiday season brings...

Food IS EVERYWHERE which means risk is everywhere too. I certainly don't think it will change any time soon. Having had hungry babies, I also get the "I need to feed this kid now" as well as experienced the challenges jobs can pose. Heck, I eat at my desk at work (I also know that no one around me has allergies and many people eat at their desks). I am glad to hear about the precautions you and your co-workers take - I wish everyone was as careful!

My frustration is with policies not being followed when our family tends to benefit from adherence :) We don't eat out, she's never been to a food court or concession stand - in other words, we do things to reduce our risk where we are able. I know that there are other things we either haven't even thought of yet or "don't see". My original post was the sheer frustration and surprise of having someone eating pizza and wanting to touch our stuff in a place where I wasn't expecting it...