You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: dairy-free cocoa powder?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:09 am 
Does anyone know of any that is completely dairy free? I see a lot of 'may contain traces'. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 pm 

We buy Fry's cocoa, but only in the smaller cans. It seems that the larger ones are the ones with traces of milk listed. (at least this is what I found last time I bought some before Christmas)

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:13 am 
I noticed that too, that was the problem! I always had the small ones, and then I bought the large one from Costco at Christmas and it said that about the milk. Maybe I'll email them and see what they say. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 pm 

I looked into this a few years ago. Fry's cocoa is made at more than one manufacturing plant. Sometimes there is a risk of milk contamination (at one of the plants)...sometimes not (made at the other plant). If it does not say "may contain milk" then that can is made at the safe place.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:03 pm 
Excellent! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:25 am 

I was buying the larger size (500 ml) package of Fry's for the last year or so. It said 'May contain traces of milk ingredients'. However, today when I went to get more, it said 'May contain peanuts, tree nuts, milk, wheat, sulphites (and maybe others that I can't remember)'.

I then looked at the smaller size (250ml) and it had no may contain statement, as per previous posts in this thread. I bought a couple of these ones.

I just wanted to post in case anyone was buying the 500ml size regularly, and had stopped reading the ingredients. . . .

I've emailed them to ask if the smaller size one is indeed allergy safe, and if it will still be readily available in future. Will post once I hear a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:32 am 
I started buying raw cacoa because of what happened with Fry's. It's not that I don't trust their statement about the small one (unless, of course, they've changed it and I'll see when they respond to you!) but raw cacoa is healthier, anyway. It is more expensive, but I don't use it in abundance and, I think, tastier. Either way, I look forward to their updated response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:50 pm 

Ooohhh, what is raw cocoa and where does one buy it? If they start moving all the manufacturing to the plant that has nuts/peanuts, I might have to start getting raw cocoa too.

Here is the except from the email I received from them today. I think it sounds reasonable and I will be using the smaller package size that doesn't say it 'may contain' anything.

"Cadbury Adams Canada manufactures a wide range of confectionery products for the Canadian market. All products that contain peanuts/nuts will note this in the ingredient listing. All products that do not contain peanuts/nuts but are manufactured in areas where they may have come in contact with peanuts/nuts include the following warning on the product label: "May contain traces of peanuts and/or nuts."

Products that do not contain peanuts/nuts or do not come in contact with peanuts/nuts will have no declaration or warning on the product label. Please note that these items leave our manufacturing facilities without having come in contact with peanuts/nuts. However, we cannot control the warehouse, shipping and retail conditions under which these products are stored/sold.

Manufacturing lines and ingredients may change from time to time. As such, it is recommended that you carefully review the product packaging for ingredient declarations and nut content warnings prior to each use."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 pm 
I am not sure about cross contamination and other allergens, but I know that nativa's naturals brand is safe for me. The price tag might seem shocking, but the added nutrition far surpasses cocoa. This is raw cacao. It comes in beans (which is the cacao and butter together), the nibs (just the cacao) and the nibs ground (like powder).

I am not sure if you are near the Whole Foods in BC, but you would definitely be able to buy it there. If not, perhaps at a local health food store? I am sure there are other brands, too, but this is what I am happy with!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:25 pm 

I have just recently started buying Hershey's natural cocoa - switched from Fry's. I phoned Hershey's and was told it contained no dairy and if there were traces it would be noted on the container (which it is not). I have used it a number of times with no issues. I buy it at Wal-Mart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:55 am 

Thanks. Yes, there are two Whole Foods relatively close to me, so I'll check out Nativa - thanks.

Also, I found Hershey's at Save On Foods today, and bought two boxes because it only has cocoa in the ingredients, and not sodium carbonate like Fry's. Not sure what that is, but I feel better about just cocoa. I have to check if they are 'may contains' fro nuts/peanuts, as there's no allergen statement, but I'm hopeful.