You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:12 pm 

I am wanting to get foil wrapped easter eggs for the hunt. i was getting from Twin Cove here in Victoria but i have feeling they have closed shop. I have also ordered in the past from Vermont Nut Free but found it quite expensive with shipping etc (but could be becasue i was late and had to pay express).

any Canadian companies with foil wrapped eggs?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:05 pm 

Sorry I can't help you, but I do have a warning that fits in this thread. Comet eggs used to be safe (they were sold at the Dollar Store) but this year there is a peanut warning -- and it's easy to miss.

Ingredients in English
Ingredients in French
may contain warning in English
may contain warning in French

Easy to miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm 

I have a Comet eggs label here in front of me of ones i just bought at our local drugstore and i have read it 20 times now that i have read your email but NOWHERE is there any warning. This is a 200g package that the name of the product is: Comet MiniChick Milk Chocolate Eggs. I also noticed that www.peanutfreeworld. com (US Site) sells the large bags of Comet MiniChick eggs. NOTE: the ones I have are made in Canada

hhmmm - would love to call the company but there is no phone number. i will investigate more tomorrow and post back.
thanks for the warning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:14 pm 

I am also curious about Comet foil-wrapped eggs. The small net bags of eggs that are sold in grocery stores and dollar stores has a warning on them "Made in a facility that contains nuts/peanuts". But yesterday my husband brought home a large plastic bag of them that he bought at Costco and there is no warning on the label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:00 pm 

I have called the distributor (Regal) fo Comet Mini Chick eggs and she confirmed that their labelling is very accurate. here is what she told me: "all eggs are produced in a peanut/nut free facility by Comet. Regal is the distributor only and not the actual manufacturer but they do wrap the eggs. Now some of the eggs are wrapped in a facility that has nuts and the others in a peanut/nut free facility. So as long as you check your labels you wil be fine"

This is good to know but from a personal perspective i would like to see them do all wrapping in one facility so that it could be depended on more. especially if you are at an egg hunt or something. anyhow, this is the news i recieved and as long as you read the label you should be okay.
here is their number 1-800-363-4434. The woman i spoke to was very knowledgable and took great care to get me the right answers when i told her about some labels stating "may contain" and some not.
hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:00 am 

damn why did I join the forum just now?! Well, I will note it down for next year!