You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pam spray
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:40 pm 

I make a lot of waffles for my kids and use the pam spray since it helps prevent the waffles from sticking to the waffle iron. I went to buy some more Pam and realized that they changed their ingredients - does anyone have any other suggestions? I tried my own "environmentally friendly" oil spray but it doesn't work well on the waffle iron.

boys' mom
egg, dairy, peanuts, nut allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
my own "environmentally friendly" oil spray

I'm assuming you mean the spray bottle that you fil with oil and pump to add pressure. I've tried those too with limitted success.
Have you tried simply basting the griddle with the oil of your choice?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 am 

I use PC brand Canola Oil spray. Not sure about nut ingredients in it but is dairy free.

me -- no allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:22 pm 

what is the ingredient/allergen that they have now put into Pam? Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:55 pm 

Does anyone know what ingredient they have now put into PAM? Thanks in advance!

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Are you looking for a new ingredient that wasn't in this product until recently or are you just wondering what is in the product?

They have to list their ingredients don't they? Do you think you might be reacting to the gas they use? Is that listed?

I read a recent post in the Corn Allergy forum that some people are reacting to potatoes that have been stored with ethylene gas to keep them from sprouting. Are companies required to state the gas used in an aerosol?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 am 

Susan..I was just referring to "boy's mom" post that PAM has changed their ingredients...I had looked in our store here and didn't see anything different on the bottles there..just wanted to know if I should buy a few bottles, as I am running low, if the change in ingredients is a peanit/treenut ingredient... Thanks :)

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I use extra light olive oil in one of those spray bottles that you just hand pump to fill with air.

Susan mentions having limited success. Maybe the bottle I found at HomeOutfitters works better than Susan's sprayer. For me, this works just fine for my indoor grill, and I don't have to worry about additives and other uninvited "extra" ingredients.

Post subject: Pam spray
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:53 pm 

Hi everyone,
I haven't been able to check in regularly - sorry.

The pam cooking spray now has rosemary extract. I know its not a big deal with regards to ingredients, but I just get flustered when a product I have been using (with no problems) changes an ingredient / ingredients.

Anyway, I called the company, ConAgra Foods, and was reassured that there was no milk, eggs or peanuts in any of the pam sprays. I asked it this was the case with the "Pam Buttery Flavour" and she double checked and said that there was milk in it (I could have told her that). Anyway, my concern is with cross-contamination, and again I was reassured that even though all pam sprays are made on the same production line, the line is thoroughly cleaned before another spray is made.

I also have one of those spray bottles that you pump, but my waffles just stick to the griddle. I guess I'll go back to using the pam spray - when I have the courage to do so. Is there anyone else like me who gets really "out of whack" when a trusted product changes their ingredients? Or am I the only crazy one?

Thanks everyone.
boys' mom

I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:22 pm 

You are not alone , boysmom,when ingredients change on a trusted product , I actually get pretty ticked off! LOL I'm sure there have been moments in the grocery store when the other patrons think I'm a little "off" because I'm ranting to myself! LOL
Thanks for clarifying about the change in ingredients..the PAM on the shelves here are still the same as what is in my home, but soon enough they'll be the new ones with rosemary...sigh...what an unusual ingredient to put in a cooking spray...hmmmmm...doubt I'll want my cookies to have a hint of rosemary LOL

In the grocery store today I found ice cream treats that are something like "Canadian certified peanut and almond free" but say nothing about the rest of the tree nuts..of course I had no pen and paper handy to write the company name down..but has anyone else seen this?

Jen