Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Wheat free soy sauce?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 am 

Anyone know if there is such a thing?

It would be very nice to have for some recipes.

thanks!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 pm 

Not sure about in Quebec, but San J makes a wheat-free tamari (it's gluten-free, too), and Bragg's Liquid aminos is what I used to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:19 am 

Thanks!
I contacted them and found their reply very satisfying, and they seem very allergy-aware, which is great! Here is the answer I got when I asked about more info on my daughter's allergens (dairy, eggs, wheat, barley, nuts, peanuts, fish, seafood, mustard):

Quote:
We have two soy sauces (Organic Wheat Free Tamari and Organic Wheat Free Reduced Sodium Tamari) that have been certified gluten free by the Gluten Free Certification Organization. We test all finished product for gluten. Our test method is sensitive to 5ppm.

The Organic Wheat Free Tamari and the Organic Wheat Free Reduced Sodium Tamari Soy Sauces are produced in a facility free from dairy, eggs, treenuts, fish, and seafood.

We do process products containing peanuts and mustard. The two gluten free products are produced on shared equipment. However, we have put into place sanitation and purge procedures to prevent any cross contamination. After running product with peanuts we thoroughly clean and sanitize all equipment. We also test the cleaning rinse water (from various locations) for the peanut allergen using a test kit sensitive to 5ppm. If this were to come back positive we would continue cleaning until a negative result was obtained.

In regards to mustard, the FDA and Health Canada have not declared it mandatory for labeling. We do not test for this allergen, but feel that our cleaning procedures (sufficient to remove peanut protein) is sufficient to remove traces of the mustard flour we use in some of our cooking sauces.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance or if you need anything clarified.

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...