You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:08 pm 

Last christmas season, I nearly freaked out at my local grocery store. BULK NUTS NEXT TO PRODUCE! Bulk nuts on the floor. People handling bulk nuts and then produce.

I was FURIOUS. Through enough people complaining, many grocery stores in my area ( co-op, sobeys) are selling out of bulk nuts and they will not be returning. They only sell nuts in closed containers now. I shop at superstore. :idea: I'm trying to raise some awareness on this to them. If others complain too, maybe they will follow.

I've been trying to purchase already packaged produce (bagged apples, pre cut brocoli in a package etc.) so that people handling nuts and dairy don't handle an apple that I plan on buying my kids. But thats just me... I'm paranoid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:01 pm 

Paranoia is a good thing. It helps keep us and our kids safe, I'm going to mention this at our local groceries too, thanks for bringing this up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 pm 

With the christmas season approaching I've noticed that superstore has yet again placed loose nuts in the produce department. There are loose chestnuts next to the grapes. I also asked the produce manager if the display area will be washed before placing new produce in that area. He said no. That area is where peaches, cherries and other "seasonal" fruits sit. I stopped buying my produce there. My local co-op and sobeys do not sell bulk nuts anymore. All nuts in the store are in closed containers. I will be buying my produce there from now on. I'm sure superstore would change this policy if they heard enough complaints about it. I encourage everyone to write it on a comment card next time you are in their store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:57 pm 

Progress!!!

The nuts have been moved! They are no longer next to the grapes. Hopefully the display area has been changed...I will ask next time I am in the store. I know that to have a major grocery store move an item...it requires a planogram change throughout the company. All the nuts are in the nut area, and I've heard that they are looking into the possibility of prepackaging all the nuts so that they do not "migrate" around the store or cross-contaminate the rest of the produce that customers handle.

Thank you to everyone who also filled out a comment card, and lets keep em coming about possibly prepackaging the rest of the bulk nuts!!! And positive comment cards about the moving of the chestnuts would probably help them to not reappear in the seasonal fruit section next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:35 am 

Bulk nuts has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I phoned Superstore about 5-6 years ago after I had a shopping experience there where there were loose peanut shells in the basket (a shopper must have been having a little snack as they shopped :roll: ) and I asked the clerk if the baskets could be cleaned and he emptied it out on the floor (this is the truth, I swear) and handed it back to me. Anyway, I phoned all the way up the customer service tree, to the head person in Edmonton. He was totally off. Basically, he told me it was all about money and their policies would not change unless the government food agencies made them change. I did notice a couple of years later that they did have bagged peanuts but all the rest of the nuts are loose and in the produce department.

I phoned around for a while and talked to a few people and then I got busy with other stuff and it got put on the back-burner, and I haven't done anything about it since. (story fo my life!!)

We should really take this up with the feds. If it is a requirement that the major allergens be noted on all labels then it should be a requirement that those same allergens be contained in some way, otherwise, everyting in the stores should say "May contain traces..."

Does anyone know who to call/e-mail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:58 am 

I agree - there should be some regulations for nuts in grocery stores. We don't buy manufactured food from factories which process nuts so buying produce in a store that has loose nuts doesn't make any sense either. We have always avoided bulk stores also. I talked with the produce manager at our local No Frills just yesterday and he said there was no regulations in the grocery industry as far as he knew in regards to nuts. I wonder who we would talk to or write to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:17 am 

I found this:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/too ... mene.shtml

I plan on e-mailing them right now. If the nuts in the produce department concerns you please sens an e-mail as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm 

I e-mailed too! Thank you for getting the address. That has been on my list-of-things- to- do for about 4 or 5 years so I am so grateful that you made it so easy! I love this forum, and I love knowing we are all ot there dealing with the same stuff and we are helping each other and our kids together!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:03 pm 

In Early December, I spoke to someone in the produce section of our local Great Canadian Superstore about this. (As I was speaking, another lady piped in that her son had peanut allergy and that she was concerned too!) He said that they change the lining of these bins and wash them between rotating the produce. I told him that concerns were rising among allergic people and that maybe this issue would get hotter in the future, so that they may have to put more consideration into the issue. He was polite and I left it at that.

I have now started buying more of my produce at a local farmers market type store. When I spoke to a staff member there, she showed me the nuts were all pre-packaged, and they had very few of them. I know many cities have farmers' markets where you buy produce direct from the farmer who grew it. Maybe we should start doing more of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:11 pm 

This is the response I recieved back from Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Thank you for bringing your concern regarding displays of bulk nuts in the produce section of grocery stores to the attention of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

The CFIA has, and will continue to, work with consumers, associations and industry to address undeclared allergens and cross-contamination of allergens along the food chain. As a consumer, I encourage you to continue to bring your concerns to the attention of the various retailers. You may also wish to contact the Canadian Council of Grocery Distributors at www.ccgd.ca. The local Public Health authorities are responsible for the display and sale of bulk food items at retail. If you have any concerns with specific retailers, please contact your local Public Health office.

You will find a list of municipal and provincial inspection authorities on the CFIA website at: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/rel ... aure.shtml

With regards to regulatory changes to the Food and Drugs Act with respect to food safety and the development of food safety policy at the federal level, these are the responsibility of Health Canada. They can be reached at www.hc-sc.gc.ca.

Once again, thank you for contacting the CFIA with your concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:08 pm 

I got this reply too. Is there some way of moving e-mails over to the forum, or do you have to type the whole thing it? I will e-mail who they said too.

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:23 pm 

I'm assuming here that your computer is set up like mine.

HIghlight message to be copied
Click on "edit"
Click on "copy"

Go to new message
Click on "edit"
Click on "paste"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:28 pm 

Thank you for your help,

Pam