You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: tofutti at save on foods
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:11 pm 

I discovered tofutti on a trip to B.C.. For those who have never heard of it it is dairy free cheese, sour cream and cream cheese. Does anyone have any recipes that use it?

I stocked up, but now I don't know what to do with it. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:25 pm 

hi!

With Toffutti products, you can use them in regular recipies that use these products. I really loved adding parsley and some garlic powder to the cream cheese for a really great chip dip! Their cheese slices are great for grilled cheese, to add to sauces and do a great variation on the Kraft Dinner. I also enjoyed it melted on nachos with some salsa... Anything!!!! They also have some great ice cream!

Well, too bad I can't have that much soy anymore :cry:

Mylène

Post subject: Kraft dinner
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:09 pm 

Could you share your kraft dinner recipe please. Unfortunately, I can't find tofutti in sask. My husband travels regularily to Calgary, so I could send him with an ice pack and a small cooler to pick up only a few refrigerated items...I'm sure that the ice cream would melt before he got home.

I actually learned how to make soy ice cream. I bought this...
http://www.wilton.com/flashvideo/icecre ... _high.html

I use silk for coffee with Nestles Quik ( various Flavors ) I plan on trying some new ideas soon. You can also use fruit for sorbet( no milk or soy milk ). I also put it in the freezer while I'm making it, and open the freezer to turn the handle. Also important to do this longer than 30 minutes. Do it until it is completely frozen, otherwise you will end up with a block of ice when you store it.

I ordered mine from goldaskitchen.com, I notice that they didn't have any in stock right now, but I think somewhere like michaels crafts might have one if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:05 pm 

Ice cream makers are great... there exists some that are electric ;). The electric ones make the ice cream fluffier as it mixes non-stop until the ice cream is done... I personnally can't last 30 minutes by hand ;)

For my own variation of Kraft Dinner: I melt a couple of spoonfull of safe margarine, add a couple of spoonfull of flour. on medium heat, add soy milk and stir until it thickens. When done, add a couple of slices of cheese slices and stir until melted. (about 1 cup of milk sauce to about 4 slices of cheese is what I liked, but it can varry)

Mylène

Post subject: kraft dinner
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:30 pm 

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it soon. For the ice cream maker every 2 minutes you stir it 6 times for the first half hour. Then 6 turns at 3-5 minute intervals until completely frozen. Its best just to make enough to eat all at once, or within the next few hours. It turns a little hard overnight (maybe thats just my recipe though ). Great for birthday parties or special treats.

Yesterday I brought some icecream to a friends sons birthday party. He is allergic to milk too. It was quite a special treat for the kids ( and the adults ).

The electric were a bit expensive, mine was only about $60.