You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gelato Fresco
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:20 pm 

Has anyone with milk allergies tried or found this product? It is also peanut free. I was rereading the latest Allergic Living and found a reference to this product. The product packaging looks very familiar so I am wondering where I saw it. Here is the website: http://www.gelatofresco.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:59 pm 

I haven't. I did notice on their ingredients page - http://www.gelatofresco.com/ingredientslist.html - that they have dairy and chocolate in some of their products. But I haven't seen the product labelling or called them about it.

They do say (on the same page, left column) that their Gelato Misto is dairy free. I would want to talk to them about how they sterilize their equipment between runs and if they test for allergens. What some people consider to be dairy-free is not really dairy-free for those with a dairy allergy, if you know what I mean....

They received an award regarding allergy awareness in 2000, but I am guessing that was more in regards to peanuts. I would want to have an in-depth conversation with their quality control expert about the whole dairy thing, myself.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm 

Good news and bad news. Here is the response from the company:

Good morning Kate,

Our product is only sold locally here in Toronto right now. You can come to the plant here at 60 Tycos drive and pick up product from 9.00 to 5.00 Monday to Thursday and 9.00 to 3.00 p.m. on Fridays.

Our products are completely nut free and all of our sorbets are dairy free. The only product that has egg yolk is our Vanilla ice cream. All of our products are made from scratch with each flavor having its own recipe. Sort of like cooking at home. We do not make our products from a common powdered base ( which is how 90 percent of ice cream companies manufacture their products) so after every flavor the equipments go through an acid wash. Every day is dedicated to a different flavor. We cook and process our dairy and our fruit products in completely different rooms.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Best,

Sherab

So it looks to be okay for milk allergic people but it is only available in Toronto.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:07 pm 

Hi there,

I just looked on the ingredients page and it list "hazelnut paste" as one of the ingredients. Also one of their products is a "Toasted Hazelnut" flavour. The other thing I'm concerned about is that they list Lindt chocolate as a ingredient. Lindt is definitely not nut free. I think that the company made an error in calling themselves "nut free".

If I'm wrong or I misunderstood please let me know and my apologies if I've confused anyone.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 pm 

Here is the info from the website regarding allergenic ingredients:

"Gelato Fresco is a federally licensed facility, meeting all the requirements of a Dairy inspected by the CFIA. We have made the decision not to manufacture our products with any ingredient derived from or containing peanuts. We have no peanuts on site in our plant!

We practice the policy of thoroughly cleaning all of the lines between each batch. All of our products are made from scratch, using primary ingredients, therefore avoiding the use of syrups or flavouring from our ingredients. This reduces the risk of hidden allergens or cross contamination derived from other manufacturing sources. Complete breakdown of lines and acid washing are done following the manufacturing of a product containing highly allergenic ingredients such as hazelnut. Toasted Hazelnut and Double Pistachio are the only flavours with nuts in our entire retail flavour line up. Labelling accuracy is a commitment of this company. Gelato Fresco aspires to consistently produce a high quality product that will give the customer with special dietary needs the opportunity to buy with confidence.

In 2000, Gelato Fresco received the Susan Daglish award in the Confectionary and Snack Food Category from the Anaphylaxis foundation of Canada."

In Allergic Living Summer 2008, it states that the "without" treats are tested to ensure the absence of dairy or tree nuts.

If you are interested I would contact the company directly. We do not live close enough to the company to purchase it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm 

Thanks so much katec...I hadn't seen that blurb on the website. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:25 pm 

I was wondering if some could tell me where I could purchase the Gelato Fresco that was peanut and nut free. I live in mississauga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

We''ve purchased it at a Loblaws in west Toronto. The one on Dundas W. just west of Jane St.
But others may have seen it in stores closer to you.

Very tasty.

Post subject: Re: Gelato Fresco
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 am 
Site Admin

bump!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb