You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:01 am 

My medic-alert bracelet has finally bit it, I think because I never take it off (even at night) because it is such a pain to get back on again! I am in the market for another one and I am not sure what to do. I was looking at these ones because I could take them on and off easily:

https://www.medicalert.ca....asp?styleId=6&p=I412

But then it occurred to me that it would not fit on my arm with a watch (or would look very funny with one) so I would have to use my other arm, which means I could not wear any 'fun' bracelets, ever. I don't wear bracelets often, but if I want to, I would like to reserve that right

So then I thought about getting a sports band:

https://www.medicalert.ca...asp?styleId=5&p=I209D

I figure if I am not wearing other jewelry that day, I could keep it on my non-watch arm and easily remove it/put it on again. And if I do want to wear something else on my non-watch arm, I could put it on my watch arm underneath my watch (which is too big anyway) and it would look okay (maybe). I did try with a few like items I own and it was fine in a pinch. I think 90% of the time I would wear it on my non-watch arm, but if I was doing something special, I would like an option to have my second wrist available for fancy things The downside is, it isn't especially nice-looking, per se :) But I figure if I wore it on an arm by itself, it would just be like a black bracelet, and if I wore it with my watch, it would be low-key enough not to draw attention to itself.

They also had a sports band one which was a little fancier but way over-priced:

https://www.medicalert.ca....asp?styleId=5&p=I418

It occurred to me with that one that a) again, same problem in that it would take up a whole wrist, and as I am already doing that with a watch, leave me no options for fun jewelry ever and b) if I did want to go the non-standard band route, I would always take the one I have now and mod/hack it somehow for much cheaper

Anyway, I do know I do not want the usual tiny chain one because a) they are a pain to get on and off and b) I had a recent experience in a first aid training class where *six* pretend rescuers (including the trainer) consistently failed to spot the bracelet, even after it was pointed out to them So I think I do need something a little more visible. I am leaning toward the sports band option right now, with the 'mod my own' option a close second. What do you think?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:45 pm 

Hi ficbot
I was not able to pull up your choices. I have had two types of bracelets a thin shiny one that I wore on my non watch arm. It just somehow never felt quite right for me but I wore it there for about two years. When I thought it was getting very worn looking I ordered the one that looks like black rubber and silver this one I put on my watch arm. I have both on at all times I never take it off. I do not get dressed up much, I am a jeans person but I like to have a free arm for bracelets and I feel It is less noticeable to everyone ( I hope very noticeable to ems). When I have gotten dressed up for dinner out or a Christmas party... I do not want to take it off as I feel for me this is one of the times I would be at most risk.
Anyways hope my thoughts can help your decision.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Admin

I really like the silver sport toggle and the chelsea designs.

I wouldn't worry too much about EMS missing your MedicalAlert bracelet. Your group were in the process of learning and I'm pretty sure that they will remember it now after taht experience. You can't compare a group of individuals who were taking a first aide class to trained professionals. I also suspect that one of the reasons the information is placed in the form af a bracelete is that the wrist is a body part that rescuers are drawn to. They check for pulses, needle marks(possible indications of source of symptoms), bleeding etc.

I found with our daughter that her sports bracelet would become stinky over time if it wasn't removed and given a good scrubbing. :oops:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 am 

I really like the silver sport toggle as well, and ordered it twice for our son. Why twice? Well, the first one, after close to a year, the rubber separated from the silver on one part of the band. I ordered it again, and the exact same thing happened!! (again, after almost a year). I'm not sure if my son is playing with it, or if it's not quite strong enough for a child. Don't wear it in the pool either! The sterling silver instantly tarnishes. I really like the look of the silver sport toggle. Maybe it's better for an adult than a child?

Now we are back to the traditional stainless steel design... not my favourite, but seems to work better for our son.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses