You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kernels Popcorn
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:00 pm 

I was at Yorkdale Mall yesterday and being pregnant, most food elicits a "craving" in me :wink: so being without my kids, I decided to indulge in a little bit of creamy caramel popcorn, knowing I could eat it, wash my hands and face, and go home feeling guilty! :oops: Since there is usually a very long line up on weekends at this stand, I decided this would finally be the time to ask about nuts on site. The gentlemen informed me that their particular location is "nut-free" they do not make any flavours that have any peanuts or other nuts, and all popcorn is popped on site. That eased my guilt a little! I decided to check out the website when I got home, and it provided a number with an extension to speak to someone specifically about allergies. The lady was very helpful and said that all Kernels locations in Ontario are "nut-free". They do not have any flavours that have any peanuts or other nuts, nor do they have any plans to do so in the future. She did say that some locations in western Canada do have some flavours with pecans and other nuts, but locations in Ontario were safe to eat. I also questioned her about their suppliers and she said the same of the suppliers they used. In addition, the flavour shakers you can find at most grocery stores are also nut free! The only Kernels items that were not nut-free were those snack packs sold usually during Christmas or Halloween that you can find at Walmart, Zellers, etc, as they are packaged at a different facitily and it states right on the package "may contain..." (I've seen those packages before) She did say though, "it doesn't hurt to ask each location every time you purchase popcorn just in case"...She was very helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable. I was so thrilled that we can add another treat to our list of safe snacks when we are out.

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Good to know!

It won't help my family who are also avoiding milk and eggs but I'm sure it will help others. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm 

Kernels is also available through Fundtastic Fundraising http://www.fund-tastic.ca/index2.html . It's a site dedicated to peanut and nut free fund raising options for schools in Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 pm 

I called Kernels today and spoke with a very knowledgable (and sensitive) Customer Service representative (1-888-CORN COB). Though Kernels is peanut/nut-free in Ontario, there are still allergerns of concern for some... for example, their "butter-salt" which sounds like it is either used, or is in contact with all of their popcorn products "may contain egg". This is the information provided to Kernels from their provider. They are exploring a different "butter-salt" but have not found one yet that they feel meets their taste requirement. She suggested I call back in about a year to find out if their source for butter-salt may have changed which would be welcome news! She said that it is possible that some of their seasonings may have come in contact with sesame as it arrives from the manufacturer. Also, for those with sunflower allergy, the popcorn is popped in sunflower oil. The sunflower oil used is highly refined (we have recently determined that our son can eat the highly refined sunflower oil NOT the cold-pressed from the health food store, or in some products where it is noted the source of the sunflower oil - typically the organic foods, or health foods).

So, for now, Kernels popcorn remains on our list of foods to avoid due to egg allergy (and possibly an at-risk food for sesame with some of the seasonings).

All locations have an allergen list, so you can either call or ask to see the list when at the store.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses