You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Area of Montreal
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:27 am 

We don't know yet. Lots of corporate hula hooping going on. Will know more definitely in a few weeks. I have looked on the web quite a lot and have gathered that Westmount is populated by a lot of English speaking people. So...Westmount??? I really don't know. I know it is pricey. We are living in a small fixer right now outside of NYC and a move might be an opportunity to say "no fixers." Prices in English speaking parts may not make that possible. My kids are in 3rd and 6th so I was hoping for an English speaking school. Immersing them in French seems too much for them, and they are older. My youngest in the one with EE. He has enough going on. We plan to learn French, just not all at once. Do you know of any websites that address Americans moving to Montreal. At this point my searches has come up with nothing truly helpful.

Sorry to seem to "unload." I've moved around alot: MA, NC, TX, London, England (with kids) and now NJ. It is the language/school/alllergy thing that makes this one different and scary.

Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 am 

The West Island of Montreal is less pricey than Westmount and there are tons of English speaking people here. Lots of house are up for sale that don't need to be fixed up (my cousin who is getting married just bought a house). Also on the west island there is the idea of convenience. You don't have to go all the way downtown for anything. We have lots of shopping centers, groceries stores, health food stores, clinics, and a hospital. There are schools that don't force immersion on kids. Specifically, I don't know which ones but I know they exist because my old boss was sending her daughter to a school where she was only going to be doing English. Eventually, if you know you guys will be staying here, it will be a good idea to learn french, especially if looking for a job but for the moment, I think you have enough on your plate.
Found this site, might help you out a bit: http://www.accommodationscanada.com/movingtocanada.html
Hope this helps!