You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:05 pm 

I'm a little freaked out right now! I've been using fleishmann's for years and now they've changed their recipe - it is still D, E, N, P free but they've added other ingredients (like EDTA which is a preservative and after reading about it not that great for you). I bought Earth Balance and called the company and it is fine as well but I'm a little weary about the palm oil.

I know I'm paranoid but I've been avoiding cooking/baking anything that requires "butter" so I don't have to use these products!! I am so stressed I feel like crying - why do companies have to change their recipes?

My sons are allergice to dairy, egg, peaches, nuts and peanuts.

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

You can use vegetable shortening in most recipes in place of butter or margarine.
Here is the link to the substitution chart for Crisco. I would assume that you could use the measurements for any shortening.

http://www.crisco.com/About_Crisco/faqs.aspx#faq_sub

Personally, I don't worry about EDTA and other preservatives. We eat so few prepared foods and we don't eat out much so...we're probably eating healthy compared to non-food allergy families.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:21 pm 

Susan,

What do you use for baking?

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I still use Fleishmman's or Crisco vegetable shortening. I'll sometimes use Equality or No-name brand shortening.

I know the stressed to the point that you feel like crying when a company changes a formula and it makes you question the product safety. The thought of having to start all over, looking for another product to replace it with seems daunting.

It feels like your drowning at sea and they pulled up your lifeline just as you swam towards it.

Try to focus on all of the other wonderful things that you can eat, know that you can come here to search for products (as you are doing). You are not alone. It will get easier-I promise.

I like to occasionaly write letters (e-mails) to companies that we like and tell them how happy we are with their product (just the way it is) and how glad we are that they make a product that our child can safely eat. (I learned the art of the guilt trip from my Grandmother). I like to hope (yeah, it's just a dream) that they might concider NOT changing their recipe if they know that there is a group of people who will definately stop buying it if they do.

Sometimes they give me manufacturers coupons for dollars off their products! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:14 pm 

We use Earth Balance. Why do you think you might want to avoid palm oil? Health or allergy concerns? DS has been just fine with it. YMMV. We have all those allergies and more. (all ana.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 pm 

My son is ana to eggs, dairy, peaches, nuts and peanuts. I think the problem is me - I get really stressed out when there is a new product or a product changes its ingredients. I'm sure that palm oil is ok - its just me - being paranoid!! I guess if i don't try it, I'll never know !!!

Lakeswimr, how long have you used it? By the way, what does YMMV stand for? :P

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Are you wondering if palm is in the nut family?

We had a similar question about coconut and here is gwentheeditor's reply
Quote:
In the Fall (2005) issue of Allergic Living, in the Ask the Allergists column, Dr. Wade Watson answered this question posed by a mother with a 2-yr.-old with nut and peanut allergies: Is coconut a tree nut?

The allergist's answer: "Coconut is a member of the palm family which is not related to nuts or peanuts" (and he reminded that peanuts are actually legumes). He continued: "Coconuts are large seeds adapted for water-born dispersal and remain viable after having floated in the sea for six months or more. If your son is allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, there is no reason for him to avoid coconut."

The only exception, I imagine, is usual one - to watch out for "may contains" on labels because of processing.

hope that helps.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... lm&start=0

It might help to remember that although there are many tree nuts, only a few cause most reactions they are almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts (filberts), macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts (pignolias), pistachio nuts and walnuts. These are the only ones included in Canada's list of priority food allergens.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/al ... ix-eng.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 pm 

We loved Earth Balance and Soy Garden for butter usage. Since we have added soy to our allergies, I have switched to Spectum Shortening, and it is good for texture in baking. It lacks any real flavor though, so it does not add to the recipe in the respect. I prefer to avoid trans fats and hydrogenated products, so I skip regular shortenings. Palm oil is fine, though. When on an allergic diet, I try not to remove things if I don't have to, as our diet is restricted enough. :?

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

You may want to go the route of dipping your bread in olive oil, mmmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:00 am 

Just bumping this thread because I recently finally bought some Earth Balance to use for baking just because I didn't like the artificial flavours in Fleishmans for when I make icing for cakes. Yes, even though it's only a once in a while thing, I feel better about giving my kids all natural ingredients when possible.

Anyway, I was on the Earth Balance website and was concerned because they make almond butter and peanut butter. However, when I emailed them, they responded right away saying the nut butters are made in a different facility from their buttery spreads - thank goodness!

And I don't think anyone answered the YMMV question - it stands for 'your miles may vary', as in your experience may be different from mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:10 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
You may want to go the route of dipping your bread in olive oil, mmmmm...

I use olive oil in place of butter and margarine in my baking because the allergies in my house just don't match up! I make cookies with olive oil.
My husband is allergic to dairy... my son is allergic to soy. I have yet to find a margarine that is free of both soy and dairy. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Kmommy, never fear - I noticed recently that those good people at Earth Balance have created: soy-free, dairy-free margarine or butter substitute.

Called Soy free Buttery Spread, it's made of a blend of oils, with no dairy, no soy, no gluten, no msg. :)

It does have pea and corn protein - but check for yourself: http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/products/soy-free/