You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:40 pm 

We are finding some things that never realized would have allergens and would appreciate others...

Lip gloss - avocado oil

Environmentally friendly cleaner - corn base

Dish soap - coconut

I realize that anything that could touch her skin or be ingested is a risk but being new to the anaphylaxis is so confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:16 am 

Well I was using a pillow - its one of those pillows that you heat in the microwave and you hang it around your neck. After the onset of my wheat allergy (and ironically an increase of using the pillow) I started noticing that my neck would itch like crazy everytime I used the pillow.

My sister came to visit, and as I removed it from the microwave she went "that is a wheat pillow!" Yes, even pillows have wheat. they are filled with wheat fibre. I didn't even actually touch the wheat but somehow the wheat came through when I heated it. I've never touched the pillow again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:33 am 

(Some) pencil crayons, crayons, craft paints etc. - soy

Dyes in craft supplies - beets, soy

Ink - newspapers, other print material - soy

Glues/sticky stuff - didn't ever get to the bottom of it, but historically DS would break out in hives etc. from coming into contact with glue, sticky stuff (this has now resolved)

Fruits and veggies in certain grocery stores - vegetable oil coating to make produce look shiney and attractive to customers (when I asked one particular store, they had no idea what the vegetable oil was derived from)

Natural cleaners (laundry, dishwasher etc.) - soy (DS had a *huge* reaction to soy residue left in our washing machine from a 'natural' free sample I used to wash my own clothing with. I always follow due diligence with DS but didn't call the manufacturer of the sample even though no ingredients were listed. I didn't think that trace amounts could be left in our machine :oops: and rub off on DS's clothing. Still feeling so horrible about that!)

I could probably come up with more, but I hear the sound of little feet and have to go now.

PS Contact reactive allergies can be daunting to manage, but are not impossible to manage. Stay positive and confident in your ability to keep your little ones safe and nourished. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:32 am 

Compliments (Sobeys) Small potatoes in the little bags, have an allergy warning for may contain peanuts. I never thought potatoes would be unsafe! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm 

Peanut oil in cheader cheese.
Peanut oil in Oil of Olay creams
Peanut oil in Clairns makeup ,Lorel makeup
Traces of peanut/nuts in Barley
Traces of peanut/nuts in Dainty Rice
Almond Traces in olives
Sweet almond oil in baby lotions
Peanut/nut oils in sunscreen and tanning oil
Nut oils in hair products (macadamia/almond/sesame seed oil)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm 

Were all of those peanut or nut oils declared in the ingredients?!? Thanks for sharing!

We found the potatoes at Sobey's with the peanut warning - the grocery guy thought I was crazy until he read the warning too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Nothing yet but...what is in the glue on envelopes?
Our daughter always wants to lick the envelope or stamp and I cringe...where's the label?

Does anyone know? She has licked envelopes at school :roll: with no reaction but in my mind it goes against our rule of no label, no eating. She does wear her Epi-Pen so I suppose it's not the end of the world...just wondering.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: odd items with allergens
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 am 

I work in healthcare and was recently sent a sample of a gel pad which is used to provide padding for boney body parts when someone is at risk of pressure sores. When I first opened it for inspection I got a very itchy nose so I contacted the supplier for information on it's contents, the data sheet arrived and the main ingredient was Soya Bean Oil. I was packaging it up to take to my allergy clinic appointment and had an asthma attack. After a skin prick test I had no reaction but on the way back to the car I started to have throat symptoms so L returned where all hell let loose I had to take piriton (antihistamine) and stay to be observed for the next 4 hours, finally leaving the hospital at midnight. Luckily it is not something that is commony used where I work and I don't normally have to be near it but it shows how careful we have to be.

Another episode was last year, I had to see a GP about a chest problem and they prescribed a steriod Prednisalone, after 4 days I wasn't any better and then decided to check the info sheet in the box!!! how daft hey? and it noted that asthmatics may be allergic. It turned out that it was only the enteric coated version and as soon as I started on the standard type I got better almost immediately. My allergy clinic believe that it could be an allergy to the colour indigo carmine and propose to test me at the next clinic appointment in August.

Lulu

Allergic to Soya, peanuts, tree nuts, almost all raw fruit and raw vegetables, asprin, non-steroidal inflammitories, enteric coating on medication, sulphites. Dust, Cats, tree pollens (Birch +++) flower pollens, feathers, cigars. Asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 pm 

peanuts - pet food

peanut shell - used as filler in flower seed mixture

soy nut oil -- used on elastic bands, to prevent them from sticking together