You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:05 pm 

I noticed shopping today that all the Easter Chocolate now lists a may contain trace of egg warning on the back! ARG! I checked the Christmas boxes I still have at home and there is no egg warning. I'm going to email and see if this egg warning now applies to all their chocolate or for some reason is select to the Easter selection.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:46 pm 

My guess is because of the little eyes and bows they put on easter treats are made with Royal Icing which contains meringue powder . . . but let us know what they say.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 am 

Disappointing ....like a previous email I sent I this time have also have not heard back from their customer service dept.. I agree, it looks like it is the icing eyes etc. on the Easter chocolates where the egg product is being used. I still would have like to know if this is now going to effect all their chocolate. If they are using egg product in the same facility where they process all their products I can only now assume across the board cross contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 pm 

I just purchased the smaller (50g) size for our kids, and there was no warning with regards to egg. I did notice the warning on the larger Easter products. How disappointing if we won't be able to buy this product any longer - it's such a great company for these seasonal purchases.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:23 am 

Hi Julie, I'm going to call today. The only Easter chocolates I've found so far from Vad. without the egg warning are the 400g box of individually wrapped pieces. Which ones did you find? I'd love to find them if there are more.
It is all the formed Easter shapes I've seen in the regular and Freddo syle chocolates that carry the egg warning. Our local Walmart is carrying almost all their Easter chocolate in the Vadeboncoeur and Jean Talon (both peanut/tree nut free). I was so excited about it until I read every box of Jean Talon and not one didn't list an egg warning. Jean Talon marks using the terms 'albumen' as well as plain english 'egg; in the icing ingredients. Of course for our family I noticed some list gelatin also in the icing ingredients!! aaahh
I'm concerned that if Vadeboncoeur is using egg then what else is contaminated besides the Easter formed chocolates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:49 am 

Okay, I've checked, and I actually purchased Jean-talon products! Wow, I can't believe I thought I had purchased Vadeboncoeur products - sorry! Anyway, these Jean-talon products look to be safe. I purchased them at Walmart and they are the 50g size (quite small, but I purchased Easter toys as well instead of a big choc Easter egg). The chocolates I bought are the small Volkswagon car and Jeep for our son, and the 4 chocolate animals for our daughter (rabbit, bear, dog, lion). I like to buy these seasonal products early so we have maximum selection since we are limited in buying safe items. Walmart had lots of great, inexpensive Easter toys for those that need to steer clear of chocolate altogether.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm 

I just called back to the customer service and asked to talk to a human being as my first call (unanswered) this morning went to a voice mail.!!
Anyway, Vadeboncoeur BITE SIZE individually wrapped chocolates are the only egg free easter product that she is aware of that have no egg warning. Even the easter chocolate without icing has the egg warning as they are all processed together in the same building and on the same lines. (The standard chocolate available all year is made in a different building. )
I looked today at Zellers for the Jean Talon small forms you found Julie but they only had the large ones. I'll go back to Walmart. The ones I read today again list egg on some and list "albumen - liquid, dry or frozen" on others (and of course gelatin!).

Our daughter has no allergies and our son is too young for chocolate but I really would still like to have allergen safe treats in the house. I also see the issue we are going to have over the years as he gets older. Allergies or not I agree with you Julie about having other small items not food related. I figure if we have to make a change in our habits and in which treats we purchase etc. it might as well start now.