You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:35 pm 

I was at my local Price Chopper ( http://www.sobeys.com/English/Our_Compa ... hp_ban.asp ) and noticed that their bakery section had large commercially make cakes (like the ones you'd see at Costco) by The French Oven Bakery http://www.thefrenchoven.on.ca/ . Commercially made desserts are pretty much a given "hands-off" for us so I was pleasantly surprised to see in small print on their label "Nut-free Bakery". I do all of our baking but thought how great it would be if I had to put on a large function (or attend one), and wanted to purchase a commercially made cake that wasn't too expensive (I think they were under $20.00). Anyway -- worth checking out for those of you with peanut/nut allergy and living in Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:15 pm 

Wow! Thanks for the info. I will defintely check it out! I'm so used to going into Loblaws and seeing "Alergy Alert" signs everywhere. This would be a nice change. :)

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:09 pm 

Will definitely look into that. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:09 am 

Just wanted to add that my Price Chopper now carries regular size cakes made by the French Oven too. Found in the refrigerator section of their bakery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 am 

Thanks for the info. French Oven's website has no allergy info so just to make sure, I sent them an email enquiring if the "nut free" label also includes peanuts. I will let you know their response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:20 am 

This is the response I received.

Kindly note that our cakes are manufactured in a nut free environment. We do not add any nuts including peanuts in any of our cakes. The ingredients that we use are purchased from reputed suppliers however we cannot guarantee that their maufacturing facility is peanut free.

Thanks
Alok Razdan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:11 am 

Thanks for the follow-up Storm. :)

Post subject: Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 pm 

I checked with The French Oven and they say that the ingredients recieved by them are Peanut Free as confirmed by the suppliers. Their facility is nut free and they do not use nuts in any of their cakes. I recently bought a custom made cake from them and it was delicious and very reasonably priced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:56 am 

I meant to post this earlier but unfortunately have not had a chance. We bought the vanilla flavoured cake at our local Price Choppers and it was DELICIOUS. I took it out of the freezer in the morning the day of our daughter's birthday party and it was very fresh just as if it had been baked that day. It also comes in a chocolate flavour. It's decorated with balloons and a plastic label that says "Happy Birthday". I just want to say thank you again ethansmom for posting about this.

To make the cake more personalized, I bought Dora loot bag items and put them all over the cake. When my daughter saw it she was so happy about her Dora cake! My oldest wants a Hannah Montana cake so I will do the exact same thing for her.

The parents at the party were quite happy as well...some said that they would buy it for any occasion and just take out the "happy birthday" label.

Thanks again! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:58 pm 

Thanks for the info,
You can also pick them up at Food Basic's. How exciting! My daughters birthdays are next week. We are having a party with cupckaes on Saturday but for their actual day I can pick up one of those.
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:47 am 

The main page of their web-site now says NUT FREE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:52 pm 

Interesting that their website has been updated to include "Nut free" but the labelling on the cakes themselves no longer make any mention of this? Anyone else notice this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:37 am 

Really? Which Price Chopper did you go to? I just picked another one up on Thursday to bring to a BBQ and it stated that it was nut free on the side label (in very small print though) :)
Did you notice this on all the labels at that store?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:01 am 

Directly on the label itself. The label that also lists ingredients, name of the bakery, etc. I didn't see any other labelling besides that one label. I'll have to look again the next time I'm in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:32 pm 

I was back in tonight and the labels no longer have the "nut free" statement on them. I don't know? Perhaps this is new packaging for them? I do remember it was there (however small) when I originally posted about the product.