You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: M & M Meat Shops
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:41 pm 

I was happy to see that they added allergen info on their website but than I read this

*Disclaimer
The ingredients of our products are researched by the manufacturer for the presence of the specific allergen (not including the oil), or for any significant cross-contamination potential. The data provided is based on our most current information from the manufacturer.

So if they don't include the oil or any significant cross-contamination, I wouldn't consider their food safe.......what do you think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:47 pm 

Frustrating indeed. I don't buy stuff from there because years ago i called inquiring about their food and got such a cold reception and little to no information that could help me. I got such attitude from the person i spoke with so i haven't gone back. It's too bad since i do like some of their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:55 pm 

The ingredients of our products are researched by the manufacturer for the presence of the specific allergen or for any significant cross-contamination potential.

Take out the part in brackets -- they DO research for cross-contam.

But, that oil part still irks me. I've just sent an e-mail. I want to know WHY they don't check for oils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 pm 

Thanks for posting this. I just went through our M&M products (we only buy a few) and since none of them mentioned nuts I called the local manager just to be safe, he assured me that they were safe. I noticed that a few free pies we've gotten do say 'may have come in contact with' so we threw them out and I assumed they had info on all of their products.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 am 

I'm interested in hearing what kind of response you get from them AnnaMarie...
Anyway -- just thought I'd link these two threads: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 63&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 pm 

I did hear back from them, quite quickly actually. Sorry, I forgot to post.

Quote:
It has been determined that if the protein is not present, ie. just the oil, then there is no allergen available to trigger the allergic reaction. For example, if refined soy oil does not contain protein residue, it is not considered to be a risk to consumers with soy allergies. Therefore, the name of the allergen source is not required to be declared. A product containing soy protein, such as soy lecithin or soybean oil shortening, would be listed as containing the soy allergen. However, if the ingredient contains soybean oil alone, it would not be identified as containing the soy allergen.

Now, I would like to point out that we do regularly eat M&M products. I always read the label. It never says "vegetable oil". The type of oil is always listed (.e.g. canola oil, or olive oil). Obviously, none in my home say peanut or sesame oil -- I'll try to remember to check if any say soy oil.

As far as I can see, they do seem to list the oil -- but according to they website they don't list the possible cross-contamination with oil. (Or at least not if it's refined oil.)

Science isn't on our side on this one, I don't think. Science says the protein is not in the refined oils. I've also looked through the CFIA website and haven't found anything to back up my opinion that the oils are a risk.

Having said that -- I will continue to eat their products. I do think their labelling goes beyond what is legally required, and I (personally) think the risk of cross-contamination from a refined oils is lower then from the actual ingredient (i.e. a peanut or a sesame seed). But, that's my own opinion, and I am not advising others that they should do what I do. Everyone has to decide for themselves. If I hadn't been eating their product for quite a while already I might feel differently - I'm not sure.

They do list for 11 food allergens:

peanuts, tree nuts, shrimp/shellfish, fish, milk, eggs, MSG, sulphites, gluten/wheat, sesame and soy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:55 pm 

Our family eats a couple of the M&M products as well... we are able to eat the Chicken Grills (I use them to make chicken parmesean, or chicken "fingers" (instead of chicken nuggets.)) There is very little prepared food we buy, but we have eaten these for a few years. We also buy the perogies. When I called the customer service a few years ago, I was very impressed with the person I spoke with - she was extremely knowledgeable regarding food allergies, and I felt comfortable with their labelling.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:30 am 

Julie, I see you are dealing with a lot of allergies other then the top 11. My understanding is that for those other allergies they will get the information for you on different products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 pm 

I don't shop at M&Ms.
There is always a line up. Only one or two staff. It takes me FOREVER to read the ingredients. I have to ask for them to pass me the items, then put them back when I've found the allergen, etc.
I just find it a pain - and honestly, if the ingredient list is that long do you really want to eat it?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:05 am 

M&M Shops have a binder that lists every product's ingredients. Each page also has a list of the top allergens, each with their own box - e.g., if tree nuts are checked that is the only top allergen it contains.

When looking for new products a clerk will look up the items for me (they are by product number) and if our allergen boxes are not checked then they get the actual box for me and I read that label.

Once familiar with the layout of the binder it has been quick to check for new products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 am 

I'll be sure to ask to see the binder next time I go. The last two times I was there and was asking about ingredients no one mentioned a binder - just huffed and puffed each time I asked for a box, read it and handed it back saying, Nope, not safe for our allergies.

You'd think if they had a binder available they would have mentioned it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:11 pm 

I have checked binders at two different stores and the binders were big so I doubt they were created just by those stores but you never know.

Hopefully you just got someone new who did not know. Or you should switch to my stores :D

Last edited by walooet on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:28 am 

All stores have the binder -- but some don't like it.

The one we go to regularly says the boxes are absolutely up-to-date, and the guy there prefers to get me the box to read rather then get me the binder and then the box. His opinion is the binder might be out of date.

You can get a list of what products are free of your allergens. The store is supposed to be able to print this off, but many don't know how. Of course, that list just says what is safe right now and you do still need to check the boxes every time. But, that list added a lot of products to my *safe list* that I never would have thought to check -- like pies. Not all are safe for me, but some are.

You could try contacting the main office through the web-site and see if they e-mail you the list of products safe for your allergens.

Keep in mind -- they consider nuts and peanuts as two separate allergens, so asking for nut free does not mean it will be peanut free -- you need to ask for free of both.