You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:18 pm 

I'm sure almost every user of this site knows the routine of calling/emailing companies to check ingredients on specific products. I recently emailed a company to check on it's product safety. I didn't give my son's age and although I said he has multiple food allergies I only clearly listed his allergies specific to this product.
Anyway, I did receive a timely response, all my questions were answered, the rep. understood the allergy issue and the product does seem as safe as it could possibly be. What irks me was the last line in the response. That although 'their' product was as safe as it could be ... if her child was in this situation she wouldn't feel comfortable feeding him anything that she hadn't made herself.

I know she meant well and this wasn't intended to be a criticism of my parenting BUT it really bothers me. I responded back thanking her for the information and that I do appreciate all the efforts this company goes to so that there isn't cross contamination of certain ingredients. Then I added in that I agree with her that home made is ideal and that many of us are indeed already spending hours a week making everything home made. Everything from all bread products, salad dressings, sauces, treats, crackers , side walk chalk, granola bars, perogies, and on and on.. ALL without most of the ingredients which are supposed to be in these items in the first place!!! (I can't even imagine how difficult this is for those of you trying to avoid wheat/dairy etc.) All I do is bake!!!!
I let her know that to find a safe ready made product is not only a treat for someone on a limited diet but for the person doing all the baking/cooking etc..
I know it is difficult for someone not dealing with allergies to really understand the extent of creating safe food.
Must be PMS because I'm really irritated, maybe I should go and bake some cookies :wink:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and that's on top of home schooling which many parents are doing, some by choice and some because there really aren't any safe options!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:50 am 

....not to mention how every outing short or long, every gathering, special event, daily events, vacations, basically everything we do requires planning and organization and of course what every allergic parent/person requires...a huge amount of creativity in ingenuity!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:59 am 
Site Admin

So...what's the name of the company? Should we out them? :evil:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:40 am 

You crack me up, must be pms because I needed that chuckle, it was the icon that did it for me LOL.
And I would if it wasn't for the fact they actually have something safe to eat :D Don't want them changing ingredients on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 pm 

Despite the seriousness of this posting, I was getting a good chuckle out of your responses BC2007 and Susan! It's so nice to talk to people (meaning our allergic community) that truly GET IT about the effort involved in living safely with food allergies. It's such a relief to hear others express the effort involved in our day-to-day life. It's funny, though, how we grow accustomed to this way of life (it only takes a mere 5 years to get used to :? ). We learn new strategies that work for our unique situation, and we incorporate them successfully into our lives. Every little bit helps, and certainly as our children get older, it gets easier because they understand. In some ways, it was easier when our son was completely unaware, but I have to say that overall, it's better now that he's older and grasps the need to care for himself and why we do the things we do. I now involve him in reading a label together. I plan to share this task with him over the next few years until he's ready to take on this task completely independently.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses