You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:31 pm 

Grocery shopping has always been a struggle for me due to my fish anaphylaxis... which includes even to the smell... well, reality struck again yesterday: 2 of the 4 grocery stores that were safe for me no longer will be as of next week... :cry: some of my safe products are not kept in stock by the 2 safe ones that are left... I just can't come to grips with asking my mom to do my groceries :evil: .

Any one out there know of any alternatives to grocery shopping the old fashion way????

Mylène :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:35 pm 

Some grocery stores in my area still do deliveries. I assumed that it was for the elderly or immobile...but allergic to the smell of fish in the store is a good reason. Do any of those stores have a delivery service?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:40 pm 

most stores offer deliveries if you do your groceries... you still have to go in :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:26 pm 

No, no Mylène. You live in Quebec, right? Montreal, maybe. Every week when I go grocery shopping, I see staff employee doing the grocery for someone who called and then it's sent to their house. You can do your grocery shopping online or call and they will deliver it to you. It might cost you a bit more, but I know it can be done. It is at my IGA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:41 pm 

We also used to have a guy in our city that did independant deliveries. He would buy groceries, and deliver and charge a flat fee and a small fee per item. His rates were quite reasonable. He has since quit because he wanted to do more groceries and items for people who could not get them themselves, for various reasons...but it was unfortunately used primarily for beer and cigarettes. I phoned him once when I was at home with a very sick child who needed gravol..and could not stop vomiting. I did not want to take her to the store. Unfortunately, that is when I found out that he was out of business. Does any similar service exist in your area?

Also it is IGA in our area too that delivers, and I'm pretty sure that you can phone in your order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:45 pm 

Thanks... I'll look into IGA (never actually walked into one, so I don't know what they offer :oops: ). I just hope I can find one (either side of the river) in Gatineau/Ottawa...

Thanks, it helps!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:53 pm 

IGA does offer it in my area!!!! youngvader thanks!!!!! It will keep me from going insane for a little while longer! :wink: Now I'll have to work out who does my grocery... hoping the other people they fill the orders for don't order fish :shock: ... I'll send my sister or my mom in the 2 stores to see which one is the best... and safest for me to order from.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:41 pm 

That's great that you found a workable solution (that doesn't involve your mother shopping for you). Here in Toronto there's grocerygateway.com, but I think that's just for the Toronto area. I know there are also ways of ordering organic and locally grown food online here as well---I would assume that the option of grocery shopping online would be available to people in Ottawa as well in this day and age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a website that may be of help to you.
http://www.telegrocer.com/netscape/introduction.html
I know that there are telephone order services in the Ottawa area.
I would suggest you contact the Community Care Access Centre 745-5525 they are a great resource of community services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:55 am 

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem, Mylene, and I'm glad I could help. :)

Post subject: grocery shopping
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:25 pm 

The Loeb in the Glebe (Ottawa) offers online ordering and delivery.
http://www.loebglebe.com/
That's the web site and you can enter your postal code to confirm they will deliver in your area.
johdee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:33 pm 

Does any one know of any such service in the Niagara Region.?