You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gingerbread House
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:18 am 

Does anyone know where I could purchase a peanut free gingerbread House Kit. It has been a family tradition for me since I was a kid and with my sons allergies we have been to concerned to continue it. This year I am on a hunt to start it again. He would love it so much!!

Post subject: Re: Gingerbread House
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:50 am 

Please see my post in the other gingerbread house discussion. I just found a milk, egg and nut free gingerbread house kit at Foodland in Ontario last week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:58 pm 

Here's two links below. The first is for a template for a gingerbread sled. The next has a printable pattern for a gingerbread house templates, the other has printable template for a gingerbread train. Nafta has a peanut free gingerbread house BUT there is a warning for the candy/icing for peanuts/tree nuts. Their halloween gingerbread kit had no warning but when I called they said it was going to be added to all kits with icing and candy. I think this year we are going to attempt the train, maybe not so elaborate and 'structurally sound' as in the picture but it should be fun to try and make it anyway. :lol:

....and just a note. I have found that moving the gingerbread cut out pieces to the tray can sometimes stretch them. As soon as the cookie comes out of the oven put the template back over the piece and trim the cookie. It won't break as easily as it will once hardened.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Ready-For-Takeoff

http://elise.com/recipes/archives/00421 ... _house.php

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/gingerb ... in-715184/

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:49 pm 

I just found the gingerbread house last week and there is no warning of any peanuts/nuts in fact they have a peanut free symbol on the kits. The only allergens listed on the house I bought are soy and wheat. I called the company and they assured me that it was peanut free. I was also told that there was a thorough cleaning process prior to milk and egg products being made in the factory.

I was told that the candy was not made by Nafta but that they had certified from the factory where it was made that the candy was nut free. He said maybe to use our own candy if we were concerned at all. Is Nafta giving out different information? I will have to call to confirm the information again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:04 pm 

Here's an issue I had a few months ago. I directly spoke several times to one of the top execs. at Nafta foods. about the issue below. Interesting they don't have a nut warning now.

Quote:
With regards to Nafta here's something which makes their products very confusing to a f.a. consumer. Nafta is a peanut/tree nut free facility, Orbit Cookie is the company. All the cookies below are from Nafta and say Orbit Cookie (except for the individual cookie which is the one I had issues with last week. It is from Nafta and the no labelling issue has been looked into by the CFIA ).

1. 12 pack sugar cookies have a peanut free sticker on the front.

2. Halloween cookie decorating kit (4 large chocolate cookies) have a peanut/tree nut warning on the back.

3. Haunted House gingerbread kit (contains same candy as the Halloween decorating kit) has no nut/peanut warning.

4. Individual large sugar cookies, have peanut free sticker on package.

I called Nafta and the cookies ARE all from the peanut/tree nut free facility. The candy is to all his knowledge and from documentation from a nut free facility but the warning is due to the candy as they can't confirm it's safety. I did ask why then was the same candy in two different packages and one has a nut/peanut warning and not the other. I was told that the new packaging next year will add a nut/peanut warning to all the houses. So the nut warning really seems to be a cover their butt type of thing which is annoying enough. As a consumer, why would I spend extra to buy a KIT with cookies candy etc. and then not be able to use the treats included??? His advise he said he gives all parents who call is to eat the cookie with confidence that it is nut free but to purchase candy elsewhere which you already feel comfortable with.

If that is the case then why wouldn't i just bake my own cookies if I have to buy my own candies etc. anyway!! Classic case of covering themselves legally getting in the way of foods which seem to be safe.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:49 am 

Simple individual "gingerbread" houses can be made from graham crackers, 4 for the house and two for the roof glued together with melted sugar. Be careful not to burn your fingers. I used to make class sets of these for my peanut-allergic daughter's class. That work helped get cooperation to encourage only safe candies be used in the classroom for decorating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 am 

Just a thought for anyone with troubles using the kits....I saw on www.leevalley.com that you can buy molds shaped for the walls etc, and it looks like you bake the dough right in these. That way, you can control exactly what goes in your gingerbread house.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:52 am 

Oh, and another idea. Check out www.williams-sonoma.com/products/b331/? ... -christmas for a cute little pan to make cake houses. I have also seen in the Williams Sonoma stores larger cake pans that make large castles etc. This way you could make a cake and decorate it just like you would do a traditional gingerbread house. Once again, you'd have more control over your ingredients. This discussion makes me want to get baking!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Susan, didn't we have another whole thread with safe GB House leads?

If products not too dated, could you link that here, too?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

OK, anyone can buy a gingerbread kit, I've even seen a foam version in the craft aisle at Walmart.

Why not suggest this one instead? (sorry to Eldi in advance)

http://www.gingerbread-house-heaven.com/pastillage.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 pm 

I know it's past the Christmas season, but I just came across the following page, www.nestle.ca/en/recipes/Desserts/Choco ... yhouse.htm that shows houses made out of Kitkat bars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 am 
Site Admin

You can use the same pattern using safe graham crackers or cookies-thanks!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb