You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Butterball Turkey Franks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 pm 

I noticed they were labeled as "Lactose Free". I sent them an e-mail to verify this, and received this as a response. I'm still kind of new to this, should this be enough to remove possible dairy traces from the franks?

Quote:
Butterball Turkey Franks are dairy free. However, dairy is present in other products manufactured on the same line. This line is washed down after these products with allergens.

Would you trust them to be dairy free? If not, i'll eat them of course, but I was surprised of course because they are Butterball franks.. I did write in the original e-mail that my daughter has severe life threatening reactions to even traces of dairy, and they still stated dairy free, so i'm asking the more experienced pros..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:45 pm 

Tough call .... my son's 1st anaphylaxis was to a hot dog that had been labelled as not having any milk ingredients, but it was at a public BBQ, so not sure if we were given the right label to read (ie maybe he was given a different one?). We've since eaten all-beef hot dogs many times, with absolutely no issues as long as the label shows absolutely no milk ingredients whatsoever. He also eats the Butterball brand turkey bacon, and has no problems - it's one of his favourite foods! So I guess you could say that we have taken the risk, and it's been OK. Butterball is just a name - I don't think they actually use butter in their turkeys.

We experimented with my son alot when he was younger, but we are alot more strict now than we used to be since his reactions have only become more serious as time goes on, and to very small amounts of dairy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm 

Momtobunches wrote:
Tough call .... my son's 1st anaphylaxis was to a hot dog that had been labelled as not having any milk ingredients, but it was at a public BBQ, so not sure if we were given the right label to read (ie maybe he was given a different one?). We've since eaten all-beef hot dogs many times, with absolutely no issues as long as the label shows absolutely no milk ingredients whatsoever. He also eats the Butterball brand turkey bacon, and has no problems - it's one of his favourite foods! So I guess you could say that we have taken the risk, and it's been OK. Butterball is just a name - I don't think they actually use butter in their turkeys.

We experimented with my son alot when he was younger, but we are alot more strict now than we used to be since his reactions have only become more serious as time goes on, and to very small amounts of dairy.

Glad to hear that. Hot dogs are so hard for us because our daughter is also allergic to beef, so on top of being dairy free, it has to be 100% turkey or 100% chicken. I have found 2 brands including the butterball (also Maple lodge farms chicken hot dogs) that are dairy and beef free. I tried Shneiders (sp?) turkey franks, and though dairy free, they taste horrible in my opinion, though my daughter had no idea, I had to drown it in ketchup to make it edible, so i'll stick to the other 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:34 pm 

These are the only hot dogs we buy, but don't have dairy issues here. However friends of ours have children with dairy sensitivities (not ana) and they will allow them to eat these hot dogs. I don't know if that helps.

I personally am not comfortable with shared equipment, but many people are. You have to do what works for you.