You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm 

I reached for the new can of Fry's Cocoa in the grocery store today and realized that the large can has a warning on it. It says the cocoa may contain peanuts, nuts,egss, soy, milk, wheat and sulphites. The smaller can did not list anthing that I could see other than cocoa and calcium carbonate.
Important to check every time isn't it. This is made by Cadbury Adams.

Has anyone with peanut/nut allergies used Hershey Natural Cocoa or Cuisine Camino Organic Cocoa?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 am 

Thank you for mentioning this, I just checked my can and it also has a warning on it! I can't believe this made it into my home, I check and double check EVERYTHING, except things like, salt, sugar, flour and apparantly cocoa. I will be on the lookout for a new brand, and contact the company to see if the different sizes are manufactured at different facilities.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 am 

I had called and confirmed last year it was all peanut/treenut/sesame free so I just called back. Fry's cocoa at 1-800-524-2854
The 250 gram size pf Fry's Cocoa is made at a peanut/tree nut free facility the larger size tin is made in a different facility where peanut/tree nuts are processed.
:swing All is good!

Thanks you so much for posting this warning Cathie, I might easily have grabbed a different size tin and not checked. :frightened

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm 

Thank you for clarifying. I was horrified to realize that the yummy brownies and cookies we had been making (vegan ones lately) were made with that cocoa. I have always purchased the smaller size in the past and had grabbed the larger size in preparation for lots of baking.

Can't ever drop our guard even with familiar products.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:20 am 

I'm completely horrified!! I can't believe I missed it! All of the homemade 'safe' cupcakes & cakes I made all year really weren't. I feel like such a moron.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:36 am 

I went through this last year, and also found out that the small containers were safe. I was so worried that they were switching all production to the facility with nuts/peanuts, etc, and I would be out luck as soon as the old stock ran out. So far so good, though! I find they are much cheaper at Superstore / Loblaws than they are at Safeway / Save On Foods.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 pm 

Just bought a small container, all is well again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:04 pm 

I called two other companies today and got the OK from both. Hershey's says they will put a warning on only if there is a concern. There is no warning for any allergen on this product.
Cuisine Camino is an organic, free trade product made in Ottawa. The cocoa has a warning for egg, dairy, soy and wheat but not peanuts or nuts. Their website lists their allergens and products.