You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Helpful Companies?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:19 am 

I've been trying to contact a few companies to see if they have list, some have been helpful to an extent others no so much.

The other day I tried to contact Kraft Canada about crackers. The response I received was "everything is clearly labelled". While yes I understand that I have to be the one reading the products...it's always nice to have a starting point of what they say is milk and soy free. I always check but it's just nice to have a starting point.

I guess that's my little vent :abduct

Post subject: Re: Helpful Companies?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Clearly labelled for ingredients, yes...but what about may contains? There is currently no requirement to issue precautionary statements. You still need to call to inquire about a companies policy to post precautionary staements.

But either way, wow, way to dismiss your concerns. :roll: This was a Customer Service Representative? Where was the customer service? :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 pm 

Just saw this post after I contacted Kraft Canada, so thought I would add what I heard. I was inquiring about Stoned Wheat Thins and was told that they are clearly labelled for contains AND may contains and that the same goes for all Kraft Canada products. I was just calling about PN/TN and sesame. Our chick peas and lentils issues are a little easier to avoid and I knew she wouldn't be able to tell me about them anyway. Very nice woman. Going to give those wheat thins a try!

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 pm 

I have called Kraft a few times but I never really feel confidant in their labeling. When you call other companies they look in their computer system and double check but Kraft just kind of says "read the #$@% label, lady!" which I haven't totally trusted or appreciated. Like for instance, Ritz crackers, I don't seem to remember a may contain label but there are Ritz peanut butter sandwhich crackers, are there not? And Pirate cookies, are they not making any other cookies at that factory? Maybe I'm asking too much but I like it when the customer service agent double checks for me since it's kind of a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Heathermum, my daughter as ana to dairy, egg, tree nuts, peanuts and all legumes except soy. She eats Wheat Thins and really likes the new Wheat Thin Stix! They are sweeter and a cross between a cracker and a pretzel.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am 

Superstore is great when inquiring - they check it and they always get back to me if they don't have the answer at hand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm 

Eden Organics was able to provide me with an extensive list of all their products and which, if any, allergens they contain. Obviously, read every label every time, but it's a nice starting point. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:40 am 

I know you probably don't want to hear this but most (not all) don't do proper labels, or they are so over cautious of being sued, they label everything with:

"May contain nuts, soy, milk/dairy"

Even if the product doesn't remotely have any of the above mentioned products.

The best advice that my allergist suggests is the motto "Fresh Is Best". Avoid packaged foods. Not only are most bad for you but who knows whats in them?!

I will say though, one company I was somewhat impressed with was Maple Leaf Foods (in Canada). Before it was popular they first introduced a "Natural Selection" types of meats, ham, chicken, salami. They list everything except 'smoke flavor'.

IMO, anything with the word 'flavor' or 'spices' like what is listed in Heinz Ketchup is something to avoid. Most companies if asked what is considered 'spices' won't give you the information as they claim it's their "secret recipe'.

Another weird piece of advice when it comes to packaging, again, I'm not sure if you live in Canada but I swear this is a true story. I have been using Colgate regular toothpaste ever since i was a kid. NEVER had any reactions. Well one night I brush my teeth before going to bed and within a minute of brushing my teeth my lips started to swell up and i was having a reaction.

I realized that the tube of toothpaste was made in Mexico and had the code MX on the tube.

I called up the company and Colgate/Palmolive told me point blank to avoid any tubes with the code MX or US as apparently the law states that even if it says US on the label it can actually be made in MX.

I now buy ones with CA on the tube and the moral of the story is try and find out where its being made. I'm not trying to sound racist or anything like that BUT I'm guessing product quality control in other parts of the world are NOT handled as well as other places.

Last scary thought that a Doctor told me once when I went to emergency due to an allergic reaction to Ibprofin was to try and use the white Tyelnol as a lot of drug companies BY LAW do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have to list what 'fillers' they use in the drug and the filers is what I was probably reacting to.

I contacted Health Canada and they said they agree with me that drug companies shouldd list what is in their drug, but according to him since 1964 or some date that the law says they don't have to.

Anyway, something to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:30 pm 

Thanks, Susan!

I will try the Wheat Thin Stix! We travel ALOT, so while we almost always use fresh stuff at home, snacks are an absolute necessity for our family and we just have to have stuff that can go in the car.

FYI, I just called Mars to ask about tree nuts/sesame in their peanut free mars bars (preparing for halloween) and they have a great recorded message for an allergy statement. Really thorough explaining every ingredient they label for (top 9 and sulfites) AND stating that they will label with may contain if they cannot be assured that their cleaning/separation practices will eliminate cross contamination. What a great message! I suppose it's not enough for some folks, but it was very reassuring for me.

As opposed to the Heinz lady who told me their spices were "proprietary information" when I called to ask about sesame. I'm not trying to make my own Heinz ketchup lady, just tell me if it has one silly thing in it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:34 pm 

I find with the "proprietary ingredients" that if I ask for a specific ingredient, they will give me a yes or no. (They just love it when I have to give my son's big list of allergens :wink: )

By the way, I called Frito Lay the other day regarding ingredients, and I was SO impressed with the customer service rep there... I was actually very surprised with her knowledge regarding sunflower oil extraction techniques (whether heat was used, or if it was cold expressed (sorry, this is my chemistry background coming out...) She REALLY got it! Our son is allergic to sunflower seeds; however, he can eat sunflower oil if it has been extracted with heat (highly processed). She actually kept me on the phone asking ME more questions...talk about great customer service!!

I have found Kraft foods helpful when I've called, but I guess it depends on the person on the other line. In fact, I've found with the larger companies that they have a good, to very good customer, service department. However, if ever in doubt, or if I'm not comfortable/satisfied with the answer, we just don't eat that product. No way are we going to risk something if we don't feel confident. There are so many great products/companies out there, so we don't want to eat products we are not comfortable with - not worth the risk!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 am 

Toda there was a fundraiser from school and I called the company for allergen info. She said there were no tree nuts but there was a may contain for peanuts at the lawyer's insistence. On prinicple I couldn't buy from them. Either they "may contain" or they don't! If you want to cover yourselves unnecessarily then I will help you by not buying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:39 am 

Walooet, Was this for Kraft? What was the product?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 pm 

Sorry - forgot the name - it is a local company here in Winnipeg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm 

Julie, I was so aggravated by Heinz b/c I did just ask if sesame was in it. She wouldn't even tell me that. I said I don't care about all the rest, but she wouldn't even tell me yes or no. Not very nice either. Glad to know they're not all like that though!