You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm 

*** Le Clerc Celebration cookies now have a may contain nuts/peanuts warning on the package ***

I have always considered Le Clerc Celebration cookies safe. They are manufactured in Quebec and available in many stores here in Toronto such as Metro, Loblaws and Wal-Mart. Most of their cookie varieties had the CAC (certified allergen control) peanut-free logo.

However, when recently shopping for groceries, I was quite surprised to pick up a box of Le Clerc chocolate cookies and notice a "may contain nuts/peanuts warning" ... what?! Being a compulsive label reader, I noticed this. A bit disappointing that they are no longer safe, though there are so many peanut-free cookies at the grocery store these days, it's not going to be a big issue with me.

I checked the Le Clerc website at http://leclerc.ca/en/ , and the ingredient information for the Celebration cookies does indicate they may contain nuts/peanuts, so if you have bought Le Clerc Celebration cookies in the past, be careful as the labelling has recently changed with the removal of the CAC peanut-free logo, and the addition of a peanut/nut alert.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 am 

Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 am 

I noticed this last year. They have a peanut/nut free brand and then regular nut/peanut warning cookies. I called long ago but I seem to remember them saying they were made at different plants. It does worry me that if say an allergic family says buy Leclerc someone else may assume they all are safe. I was assured the nut/peanut safe treats all bear the peanut free logo on the front of the box (and of course double check ingredients).
This does make me appreciate more the companies which completely run peanut/nut free.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 am 

I checked with dh since he does the shopping in our family. He says the LeClerc Celebration have always had a may contain warning -- though it's printed much clearer now.

There is a similar type of cookie (PC brand I think) but he's only ever found it in Oshawa. It has a pf symbol on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:01 am 

Hi Anna Marie,

I am 100% certain that the LeClerc Celebration cookies have always had the CAC peanut-free logo on them. There are still a few boxes of LeClerc Celebration cookies with the CAC peanut-free logo remaining on them at the Yonge & Finch Metro, but most of the boxes there and everywhere else now have the peanut warning.

I have bought the Celebration cookies for many years now and they have always had the CAC peanut-free logo on them as I checked the label each time. In fact, my family always brought them along when they came for visits to our house since they were peanut-free.

Yes, President's Choice makes an almost identical cookie, though it does not taste as good as the chocolate is not as high quality - it is peanut-free.

Maybe your husband is thinking of the other LeClerc cookies which have the peanut alert? (ie: The LeClerc "Vital" cookies?)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:32 am 

From what I can see the Quattro, Praeventia and Praeventia Jr are peanut/nut free. I also swear there used to be more styles that had a peanut free logo, our daughter used to love hunting through the cookies at Loeb as that is where we usually found a large variety of the Leclerc brand.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish