You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Shopping Carts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:40 pm 

Due to the knowledge that I am not the only one whose child has reacted to a shopping cart...does anyone actually wipe off the handle before using it. I have been tempted...but I wonder if I will look a little loopy.

I have not put my daughters in a cart since, but allergic adults kind of have to touch it to shop.

Do we have any wipers out there? Am I the only one tempted to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:27 pm 

My kids don't have food allergies. I did sometimes wipe down the carts just due to the *yuck* factor. Stores do NOT regularly clean them. (I was shocked to hear that.)

I do not regularly wipe down carts for myself. Occasionally I do - or I will go to customer service or a cashier and ask for something to wipe it down with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:56 pm 

When it is not freezing outside I keep lysol antibacterial hand wipes in my truck. I keep the travel size in my purse when it is too cold to leave them in the truck. I have thought about using them on the carts. I also had the "travel size" wipes in my bag when in mexico, and believe me...after using a public washroom I scrubbed myself down and became quite popular with the other ladies in my tour group when I handed them out to anyone who wanted one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:39 pm 

I am now officially one of the "loopy" mothers - but I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks. Because our son had a significant allergic reaction due to handling the handle of the grocery cart, I know it can happen, and I am now very careful. This happened in Sept 05, and for a few weeks following that, our son continued to put his fingers in his mouth - but guess what? - he has now stopped!!! He will be turning 4 in January, and I had a talk with him about why he cannot put his fingers in his mouth - and he listened! (I guess the allergic reaction, Epi-pen, ambulance and hospital visit made quite an impact). Anyway, I don't think I will have to continue wiping the cart much longer since he no longer is putting his fingers in his mouth, and he no longers sits in the cart, but I now always carry Wet-Ones in a little carrying case so I can always wipe his hands when I need to.

The times I feel I look like a real neurotic mother is the very rare times I stop to have a coffee and apple juice for my kids in a restaurant with our family. If I happen to have brought a snack along for my son, I wipe the table like crazy, put his snack on a folded out napkin, and insist he keep his hands on the napkin (not under the table, on the chair, etc.). Honestly, it really isn't worth it to try and do this with an active 3 year old boy (soon to be 4, but still just as active!). We just don't eat out at restaurants. If we're going to eat on the road, we bring along our own food and eat in the car. My older non-allergic 6 year old daughter is so amazing with this. She really understands, so we are very lucky. She has been present to see most of his allergic reactions, so she has an understanding way beyond her years.

Only those with food allergies in the family can understand this. It doesn't much matter what anyone else thinks because we've all learned thru experience the lengths we have to go to to protect ourselves or our children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:40 pm 

I have a non-allergic friend (well, actually, she has pollen allergies but no food allergies) and I mentioned that someone's child on a message board I post on had had a severe reaction to touching a shopping cart and, possibly, putting his fingers in his mouth. She could understand the concern with the shopping cart, and she said that she would never put a kid in an unlined shopping cart anyways because of all of the germs. So there are *some* people who understand.

But I did have one bad grocery store experience this year. I was in NoFrills near where I live, and the baskets are generally not clean. I was at the front trying to find a semi-clean basket--I tend to be absentminded and I didn't notice that there was someone behind me waiting to get to the baskets. She said: "Is there a problem?" Now, I assumed because of the question that she was a slightly rude grocery store employee, so I thought I'd have a chance to air my concern which I did politely. But she wasn't...she was just annoyed. And when I explained the allergy situation she made it apparent that she thought I was completely paranoid. I would never have explained if I hadn't thought she was an employee of the store. 'Well, the basket you have there is dirty, too,' she replied (you can imagine the tone of voice here). I was just so angry....I just took off to avoid saying something cutting which might end up escalating the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:59 pm 

Because of others' experiences with grocery carts on this message board I try not to bring my son to the grocery store for this very reason but it's not always possible - so I too will wipe the handles down with a wipe when he's with me. I've also thought about what someone else was thinking as I was doing this -- "paranoid mother, is afraid her child is going to catch germs...etc." - but really, who are they to us and it's a small price to pay (feeling loopy for such a small moment :wink: ) for such a good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:18 pm 

I do have a cart liner for kids (which I bought at walmart in the baby section...they still have them ) so that the child does not touch the cart but I have not used it yet, I prefer the "don't take the allergic child with you" method. My daughters reaction was that she ended up covered in hives from mearly sitting in the cart :shock: ...she put nothing in her mouth. I'm lucky she didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:33 pm 

Since you posted this thread, I am now more paranoid. Thanks (JK!) Seriously, since it's winter, I keep my gloves on, I push the card and my gf puts the food in. But for summer, I think I will follow the suggestions posted here and wipe the handle. People will think I am crazy but that is already the case so, what's a little more. ;)

Post subject: grocery carts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:00 pm 

I too am a handle wiper. My ana allergy is shellfish/crustaceans. Just today while I was in the grocery store I noticed the cart beside me had fresh scallops and shrimp in it. Now, these pkgs always leak a little bit or are just damp with the juices. This person would have picked up the pkgs with their hand, placed them in the cart and then returned their hand to the handle. Instant allergen contamination for the next person to touch. Hopefully not someone with my ana allergy.

I make a habit of having the lysol antibacterial wipe in my hand while walking into the store and the first thing I do is wipe it down. Yes, some people think I am nuts but others have actually asked my why and for each person I answer that is one more that is aware of anaphyalxis.

Also, I keep a ziploc bag of the wipes in my purse so that I am never without them. Container in the car too. One never knows where one might be or what they might encounter. Better safe than sorry!

Happy shopping everyone and be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:38 pm 

Leaking packaging. Ugh! I don't like blood from raw meat dripping in with my food. I take those plastic bags from the veggie area and put the meat in it. I do the same with the fish. For me this isn't an allergy issue - just the yuck factor. Although, I do think of people with a fish allergy when I stick my fish in a bag - it's a little less drip for them to contend with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 pm 

thanks AnnaMarie ;), even if I'm far away from where you are, it's appreciated :lol:)

A couple of months ago, I bought some of those handheld baskets that my grocery store sells... it's actually ment to save us from using too many bags... but I use them to save my sanity ;). I put them in the cart when I get there, put things in and I give them directly to the cashier and she normally puts things back in... that way it rarely touches the "black rolling thing you put your food on" (sorry, don't know the english word for it :oops: ) ... I never touch any non-packaged food with my hands (that way the cashier can't touch it either ;), I put them in bags without touching them. I've been really paranoid about my own hands since my reaction in August, but I don't wipe my cart :oops:

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:30 am 

It was my daughter with the milk/egg/chicken allergy that reacted to the cart. The top of the cart, with the handle is were small children sit. It is quite typical for small children to sit there, eat cookies, have a bottle etc., then touch the handle or even put it in their mouths. A lot of stores even give free cookies to little ones. I think that wiping the handle would be most beneficial to those with allergies to milk, eggs and other common cookie ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:02 am 

I think I will start carrying Lysol wipes for when my daughter shops with me. (She doesn't sit in the cart, she's 14 :lol:, but she does push it).

Now I won't have to do that when I go to my local Fortinos (which is part of the Loblaws family of stores) where I shop because they have a disinfecting spray bottle and paper towels where the carts are stored. Brilliant!!

Maybe you should mention this to your Loblaws and No Frills managers.