You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:01 pm 

I was in the store (Foodland) this morning, and happened to see packaged deli meat from Maple Leaf called Natural Selections. All ingredients are natural. The ingredient list for the turkey is: Turkey, water, sea salt, vinegar, potato starch, lemon juice concentrate, cane sugar, cultured celery extract, spice. There are no may contains on the package. I called Maple Leaf, and she told me that they always list the top 9 allergens if present in a product, and always put may contains if there is any contact with the top 9. She verified that the natural selections is safe from peanut and egg. I would also go as far to say it is gluten free, soy free and dairy free as well (at least the turkey is), but if those are the allergens you are avoiding, you will probably want to call to verify, as I didn't inquire about them specifically. I also like that there are no nitrates and it's in a resealable container. The only drawback for me, is the smell seems a bit odd... but I'm not really a meat eater, and turkey is my least favorite, so it may just be me. The best part? V is eating it right now.. and loves it! :banana

I know deli has been an issue with a lot of us.. so I hope this helps! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm 

Wow, this sounds great, and it doesn't have any of those long scientific chemical words in the ingredients either! I'll look for these. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Admin

We're just starting to eat Pillers' brand kolbasa. It's safe for us and she loves it! Hubby is thrilled, he says that he didn't realize how much he missed it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 am 

Thank you for the find and sharing. Sounds like something even to eat on a regular basis for my non allergic daughter....just healthier :happydance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:46 am 

Susan... glad to hear the Piller's Kolbasa is safe! DH will be very happy too!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:33 pm 

We have a soy allergy over here so I was wondering if they specified if the "spice" portion was soy-free?

DD1 (3yrs) Ana peanuts & tree nuts; soy, egg white, chicken, dust mites, cats, poss. legumes & latex; eczema
DD2 (1yr) Bad diaper rashes to several foods

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:22 pm 

basicmamma.. I didn't ask about soy, as it isn't an allergen we are dealing with. They did say they will state if any of the top nine allergens are in the product or may contain, but I would suggest calling them and asking specifically for soy info. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 pm 

I wonder if I should maybe start calling these companies to inquire if they use the same cutters for the turkey/'chicken/pork as they do for beef.. I've never actually thought about that.. Maybe that's why my daughter doesn't like cold cuts...