You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:57 pm 

We made our first trip to a nut free bakery today. We went to Richman's Bakery in Toronto. It is on Bathurst just north of the 401. Our son was thrilled to have the gingerbread men. He used to eat them at Tim Hortons before we knew about his allergies. It was so nice to see him enjoy a safe product from a bakery. We live an hour form the bakery but probably will make 3 or 4 early Sunday morning trips a year to stock up on cookies and freeze them. The whole bakery is nut free, what a great feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm 

Hi frevic, Great news! I see your son is also allergic to egg... does the bakery use egg on the premises? Also, did you happen to notice if there is sesame there? Thanks!

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:52 pm 

Our son does have a egg allergy as well. We have taken the approach (right or wrong) to allow him products that have eggs baked in them. We talked about this with our Doctor and it was considered acceptable since he has had baked goods on a regular basis before we bacame aware of his allergy. Richmans is not Egg free as well but may have some products available. They have a website and you can find their email if you want to contact them. I emailed him to thank him for their initiative and he seemed quite happy and offered addition help if I needed it. I was just happy to give my son a gingerbread cookie like the ones he always had from Tim Hortons. I just love the reaction from him when he realizes he is allowed such products. We try to bake for him as much as we can but there is something special about bakery treats.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:00 am 

Thanks frevic! We are unable to have baked egg in our sons diet, but I appreciate your response. Glad you can include it with your family!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

We have a friend who owns a bakery and that uses whole fresh eggs. I'd be more willing to go to a bakery like that.
Dd reacted once as an infant after being in a bakery while I picked up some fresh bread for dh and I. She never ate the bread and was never out of her stroller.
She reacted to the dried egg powder that was air borne.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:27 pm 

Oh, speaking of airborne, back after 9-11 when they had that scare with the anthrax we heard a rumour that the air force in the states was thinking of releasing either flour or egg powder from a plane so they could see how it landed over large areas. Then someone remembered allergies. Probably just a urban myth.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy