You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm 

If benadryl is the most commonly prescribed med for allergy issues, then why does it contain alcohol? Fortunately, Waldryl does NOT contain alcohol. Aren't Diabetics supposed to get alcohol free meds too?
And why does Albuterol contain Alcohol? I had to switch where I bought my inhaler because walgreens only carried the alcoholic inhaler. What about people on Anabuse who just happens to need emergency meds? Even though its supposed to be rare, people on Anabuse can die from accidental ingestion of alcohol, and even more rare, pickles. I knew of a classmate who lost a friend this way.

I'd hate to have to use an epi JUST because they started putting alcohol in everything! Fortunately, alcohol does have to actually reach my blood stream or my lungs for me to react. (Infection or burning)

Basically, if you are intolerant/allergic to alcohol, and have a reaction to food and need Benadryl, then Waldryl is your better choice or you still may land in the hospital. But what if Waldryl isn't available? Then what? Confused on why alcohol is in so many things.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

Last edited by Allergic_Vegetarian on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 pm 

Benadryl Elixir (liquid) has alcohol but they also have a pill form which does not contain alcohol. From what I understand, the alcohol is there as a preservative. But my allergist always said the pill works just as fast. The only difference is that for some people, the liquid calms them down a bit because of the alcohol. I've used both with success. Have you tried the pill before? There's a caplet and liquid gel format.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:54 pm 

The form I found at Walgreens, listed alcohol as one of its ingredients. It wasn't liquid, but I don't know if it was a gel, tablet, or caplet. I don't remember. I was in a rush. The Waldryl, which was next to it, is a Capsule. I ended up using the Waldryl. I've been using it since Saturday, along with my inhaler due to the reaction. I'm getting better and do see my doctor tomorrow morning.

My sister went to Benadryl's site, and found that the Capgel contain alcohol.
The ultra tab contains Propylene glycol. Isn't this a form of alcohol too? My sister thinks that technically it is. :scratchy

Thanks! :huggy I guess maybe I'll have to get some help from my doctor and start some campaign that would require all pharmacies to carry alcohol-free versions of meds as well (but not exclusively). Some things just can't wait for one to get to the 'right' store. At any rate, I now have the stuff that works, and will make a point to keep it updated. I've not needed waldryl in years. Yep, even I can make mistakes after having been so good for so long. :freak

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm 

Ah, good point. Don't know how I overlooked that one. Good luck tomorrow, I hope the discussion with your doctor helps to make your life a little easier!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 pm 

My sister took chemistry in high school, and never forgot it. I'm learning from her. :lol: I think I read somewheres that things ending in -ol often is alcohol of some sort, but couldn't remember for sure, so I asked her.

:thanksign I hope my coversation with doctor makes life easier too.

I did read up on the procedure for after epi is used, and the thought of going to a hospital scares me because of hypoglycemia and past experiences with the hospital. They couldn't get my food right when cooking for me was simpler and was DF, EF, Fish allowed but everything else Vegan. I was ignoring all reactions to the other foods, putting those reactions to 'stress' in my life and anything but intolerances or allergies. They kept trying to feed me turkey and chicken broth. Given this, the only sane thing for me to do is avoid allergens with no failure, just in case my allergic reaction just refuses to get under control in a timely manner. They are now putting celery in the 'soy broth' in some canned tuna's. I'll just lose lots of weight, but it would do very little towards getting nutrients in me. Celery just doesn't stay down.