You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:37 pm 

I've seen several products lately which have a peanut free logo on the front but in the ingredients state they contain tree nuts. Now this is in fact accurate labeling as peanuts are not tree nuts BUT this worries me. If someone was under the belief that tree nuts and peanuts are one of the same they would be under the impression they had a safe treat for a PN and TN allergic child. An allergic parent would make the distinction but it might slip by a caregiver or grandparent who may not think to read the back after seeing the peanut free logo.

So, just a reminder, peanut free doesn't mean tree nut free.
My husband saw chocolate (sorry I don't know that brand) for sale at RONA that have the peanut free logo but say contain tree nuts. I also saw last week at Costco, Laura Secord bakery package which all have the peanut free logo on them but on the back says they contain tree nuts.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm 

I have often wondered about this, and do find it confusing. There are almonds packaged with the peanut free logo, so it definitely does not cover all nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm 

If it is also tree nut free 'usually' the peanut free logo also has an image of an almond in it. Sometimes!
However I also see peanut/tree nut goods marked 'nut' free - with just a peanut free logo - but the back most often says made in a peanut, tree nut free facility. This again is confusing for those not dealing with allergies as NUT is being used as peanut/tree nut inclusive but a peanut is not a tree nut. So where as this company is meaning NUT to include peanut and tree nut others say peanut free but (again although labeled correctly) they only mean peanut free and NOT nut free. :|

This 100% brings us back to only food from mom and dad. We need a masters in deciphering labeling to be an allergy parent.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 pm 

As always, I always read the ingredients, even if the symbol is there. I have no idea what, if any, restrictions exist around using it, and I worry that it might be used to designate tree nut free (but no peanut free) in error.

I agree about needing a masters. I wish there was an easy way to make people understand how HARD it is to decipher labels.