You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dempster and sesame
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm 

Well, it was a good thing but it looks like it has come to an end. As we all have found the Engish muffins, thin bagels, tortillas and soft slice have no sesame warning IF from the Laval plant which until now was sesame free. Today at Sobeys all the soft slice even from Laval (expiry ticket starts with LA) has a sesame warning.
I called Dempsters and it does look like a sesame products have been added to the plant. I asked if this will also affect the english muffins/tortillas and thin bagels....it looks like yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead

These were pretty much the only bread products left to buy safe from sesame.

Oh, Ryvita has now added a sesame warning to all varieties of their crackers. :x

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Dempster and sesame
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

:frightened What a shame!
Buy a bread maker, it's not that hard to make fresh bread. Honestly, the only bread we buy now are tortillas or wraps. :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:07 pm 

I grew up in a home where my mom made all home made bread so I've made it from scratch since I was quite young. I actually enjoy (used to) making bread. BUT after making so much home made bread the past few years I was very much enjoying the 'treat' of having found a few safe bread products to buy.

I think I've let out a dozen huge sighs in the past hour, DS keeps looking at me and saying 'you ok mommy'. SIGH!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

That sucks.

No other breads even at, say, Whole Foods or a local specialty equivalent?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm 

No whole foods here that I know of. And the PN/TN free bakery in Ottawa (don't know if it's sesame free) I've heard charges insane prices - and if I can make it at home that just seems silly. There are two things left at least. Bridor baguettes (ready to bake) from Costco and the rosemary pull apart bread from M&M.
The Dempster's was nice for quick sliced bread (toast, grilled cheese) and we had many uses for the tortillas, quick pizzas and cut up and baked for chips etc..
Not the end of the world but annoying non the less. The customer service rep. at Dempsters said that sesame products are very popular and that the warning is being added not as a cautionary thing (cover your butt) but due to actual cross contamination due to new products being made at that facility. As all us good allergy folk do I told him I was disappointed about the change but thank you for being aware and for clearly adding the new warning. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 pm 

:( :( :( I am really sad to hear this. Actually, the sad face isn't even sad enough. I'm going to call Dempsters to let them know how disappointing this is. We do make most of our bread as well, but it was a nice "treat" to be able to buy the English muffins and thin bagels. :( :( :(

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses