You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Great Canadian Bagel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:50 pm 

I've been meaning to post this for a while. It's a good place to buy peanut/nut free bagels, although I would recommend getting them to go. Make sure you double check ingredients with your local franchise.

This is the letter I sent:

I would like to commend you on the care and attention you give to customers with peanut and nut allergies. When I visited your establishment in ---, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the bagels are made on site and that none of the bagels contained nuts or peanuts, thereby eliminating the risk of cross-contamination. In fact, there weren't any products with these allergens in them. I was also impressed to see that there was no peanut butter used in the food preparation area and that sealed packets of peanut butter were given to the customers to take away. The --- franchise is a fine example of allergy awareness. You seem to realize the importance of catering to the segment of the population with these special needs. Thank you for recognizing this.

This is the reply I received from the head office:

Thank you very much for sending us your favourable comments.

Regarding allergens, we at The Great Canadian Bagel try to ensure our customers with allergies are addressed properly. I receive emails and phone calls daily regarding this very issue. Most common are nut, egg and dairy allergies.

With regards to cross contamination, I feel I must point out to you, however, we cannot guarantee a customer 100% of no cross contamination as we do not have this guarantee from our suppliers of their products (ie sesame seeds, etc.). In your case, nuts are not part of our ingredients. Although we do provide customers with individual packets of peanut butter; we cannot ensure peanut butter traces will not be left on the table. For example, a child is in one of our locations and has peanut butter to place on the bagel. Children rarely sit still and are fully aware of washing hands, etc. There could be an instance of the child placing his peanut butter fingers underneath the table he was sitting at. When the TGCB staff persons are cleaning off the tables, they may not always think about cleaning the underneath and if a person with a nut allergy happens to sit at that table, especially if just the smell can set off the reaction, then there could be a situation. For instances such as this, for customers who have a severe allergy we must advise them of this type of a situation and even though we would not want to lose a customer, it is better than having a customer in one of the stores and having a severe allergic reaction.

Bulletins have been sent to our franchisees on occasion reminding them of dietary restrictions of their customers, ie allergies, diabetics, etc.

When a customer places a catering order, the franchisee (or staff person taking the order) is to enquire about any dietary requests.

Again, I thank you for your comments and I will most definitely pass your comments along to our franchisee in --- as well as the operations manager responsible for that location.