You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm 

We just notice that the "Selection Pancake Mix" we have been using for the last couple of years now has a warning as follow: Contains wheat, May contain peanuts. tree nuts, sesame seeds, Milk, Egg, Soy and Sulphites. I talked to 4 different people at Metro and was given all kinds of info. that I am not sure of. I would appreciate any feedback you my have.

First of all the new labelling stemmed from a size reduction in the product. It went from a 1 KG box to a 905 g. The vendor updated the new box with their new allergy guidelines. This was not a Metro change but rather a vendor change. All along we have been feeding our son pancakes we thought was safe. Shame on us for assuming all important info would be on the box.

Does anyone know the rules when it come to "may contain" and "processed in a plant that..."?

The lady at Metro also mentioned that anaphylaxis canada does not want companies to over label product. Why? I would like to get all the info I could over a product to make safe decision. This is so frustrating.

I also had to wait for 15 minutes to talk to someone. If we have to call over every product these wait times would make it unrealistic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Precautionary labels are completely voluntary.
Heath Canada is looking at this issue (they held stakeholders workshops across Canada last winter). We can expect a report in the next few months.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb