Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: easter shopping for kids
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 pm 

Anyone have any good easter finds?

I would finally, for one year, like to give me kids actual chocolate easter eggs...you know the little ones wrapped in foil?

Has anyone found any that are peanut and tree nut free?

Thanks,

son aged 7 - allergic to peanuts
son aged 5 - allergic is peanuts, treenuts, maple & birch pollen, mold, penicillian, and has asthma
daughter aged 1 - no known allergies yet!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 pm 

Hi San-Turtle. I see you are in Ottawa. :huggy
As far as Easter cancy Walmart the past few years has had an assortment of peanut/tree nut free easter chocolate . Shoppers also has some but the best selection I found last year was actually at Zellers. Jean Talon, Vadeboncoeur, mini foil , mini foil eggs (in a sealed package) , mini foil wrapped bunnies (in a sealed package) etc..
I'll hunt for our link from last year where we started a thread on Easter Candy/chocolate.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 pm 

I was looking at the Easter candy in Loblaws and didn't have much luck... There are new eggs, Kitkat, Coffee Crisp and Aero. I thought maybe I could have those since they're Nestle but all of them have "May Contains". They must be made in a different facility :(

I love Hershey's Eggies. They have no nuts/peanuts in the ingredient list. Last time I called Hershey they said if there's ANY chance of cross-contamination that there's always a warning so foods without warnings and no allergens in the ingredient list are safe.

Last year I think my mom and I found that Walmart was the best bet for nut free/peanut free Easter candy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 pm 

I love the Hershey candy covered eggs but I really only want the dark chocolate ones. I can't seem to find them this year I have probably been to every store but the one that has them. If anyone out there has seen the dark chocolate ones please do tell. :huggy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Shoppers Drug Mart had a great selection of peanut free chocolates last year My daughter still can't eat it because of her milk allergies.

For the past 2 years, Rexall Pharma Plus has carried Gimbal's gourmet jelly beans for Easter but they aren't in stock yet and the managers don't order. Head Office decides what they get.

We make our own chocolates. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4299
I have several molds and we're going to have a chocolate making party. :frightened

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Guardian Angel Foods team worked really hard this year and we even had a little help from the Easter Bunny!

Our Easter Egg (190g) is available at Métro (Quebec), Jean-Coutu, Proxim, Brunet, in many of our retail sales outlets and in our online store.

Our Easter Rabbit (285g) is available in our usual retail sales outlets and in our online store. Order now to be sure to receive your package in time!

Happy Easter to everyone!

http://www.alimentsangegardien.com/guardianangelfoods/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:52 pm 

We ran across some Hershey mini eggs at Wal Mart last night. It has no warning and as stated below Hershey is really good at warnings. That being said, we are going to double check tomorrow with Hershey and load up. It is a huge bonus, last year we hid Hershey Kisses and Mini-Vadeboncoeur chocolates but the mini eggs are a symbol of Easter. Anything to make the kids feel included is awesome. We will still get the others but the mini eggs were such a hit in our house in the pre-allergy days. We just need to talk Hershey into making Advent calendars for Xmas. We also seen some mini-eggs with the Comet/Regal and another company name attached to it without a warning. To many companies involved to get a straight answer so I am avoiding these all together.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:31 am 

Hi,
I found Double Bubble gum in the shape of little eggs. In the past I know that we couldn't have it due to milk allergies, but this year the label had no milk and only one may contain...soy.

Has anyone ever ordered Divvies? Expensive since they are in the States but the jellybeans look great!

boys' mom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 am 

I found the same double bubble package also. Skittles has an Easter pack as well which I bought today. Peeps are a favourite of my children. I buy Mike and Ike's candy for my children which look and taste like Jelly Beans. I will order a chocolate bunny through Guardian Angel foods as well and then I'll be done Easter shopping.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:09 pm 

Hi Katec,

Where did you find the skittles package and the Mike and Ike candy? My ds also has allergies to eggs, dairy and peanuts / nuts and I'd like to have something new for him for Easter. Mike and Ike sounds promising.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:19 pm 

In answer to Paige... I found the Hershey's "Eggies" at Walmart - and they had the dark chocolate version. (They actually had the milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and REESES"S - yikes!). Anyway, Hershey's is really great with labeling and I've phoned several times about other products, and they have an AWESOME customer service dept. They say that Hershey's Canada always labels for "may contains" for all the priority allergens. When I saw the Reeses's Eggies, I was quite surprised. I had not seen those anywhere yet. I plan to call Hershey's to double check that the milk chocolate and dark chocolate are safe. Anyway, we tried the Eggies this past weekend (before I saw the Reese's Eggies) and we all loved them. They taste the same as Cadbury mini eggs (which are no longer safe).

For our kids, we bought the Wonka Nerds (in a small aluminum egg), the small Jean Talon Chocolat (the small animal shapes without the egg-containing decorations) and a couple of Kinder-eggs.

A warning about Nerds made in Canada - the box now says "may contain egg"; however, the Nerds in the small aluminum egg were made in the U.S., and I spoke with the Hershey customer service rep, and it sounds like they are okay. I am going to check the inner labeling once our kids take it out of the egg to make sure it's okay. I just really liked the aluminum egg, so if the candy is not okay, we will have a substitute.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 pm 

You can buy Mike and Ike's at Zellers or Walmart in the candy aisle year round. The same company that makes Peeps also make Mike and Ike's. The Skittles Easter pack I found at Walmart today. They also had Life Saver Easter packs as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have to look for the Double Bubble! I stopped thinking about them due to milk allergies.

So many items I just skip because they haven't been safe in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 am 

Thank you Julie :huggy

Its a trip to wal-mart this morning. :banana I have had the Hershey blue bag of milk chocolate eggies many of times I feel they are safe. I did see the reese ones but they also have always make chocolate with nuts. They have been good with their labeling. I have not touched cadbury in so many years even before they had allergy warning labels I could tell the chocolate that had "no nuts" was bad. You really do have to be clear with labels though aero this aero that one is good one is not..... :confused Gotta be careful.