You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: M&M Meat Shops
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:23 pm 

Just received a response from M&M Meat Shops http://www.mmmeatshops.com/ regarding their policy on allergen listing / cross-contaminants etc. My query was specifically regarding peanuts and treenuts but I think others will also find their response helpful.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us at M&M Meat Shops Ltd. We always appreciate hearing from our valued customers.

Customers with dietary restrictions, especially related to food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances, represent a growing portion of our customer base. In order to serve these customers better, we realize that accurate information on all ingredients in our food products, beyond the standard label declaration, is needed. With this in mind, we have requested of all our suppliers to search their ingredients for any sources of eleven food ingredients commonly known to cause allergic reactions or sensitivities. Their individual responses have been compiled into our Product Information Manual. As well, if the manufacturer identifies a significant risk of cross contamination with one of these ingredients, it is identified as present in our listing for that M&M product.

A copy of this Product Information Manual is available behind the counter of every M&M Meat Shops' store. It lists presence/absence (as identified by the manufacturer of the food) of the eleven ingredients that commonly cause allergic reactions. Peanuts are included in this listing. Therefore, the product consultants at any store will be able to check for these ingredients in any product that is of interest to you. For example, there is no Peanuts or Tree Nuts in our Pizza Rolls or our Cranberry Brie. Any Product Consultant at your local M&M Meat Shops' store will be happy to help you, either over the phone, or in person.

Our stores now have access to a searchable ingredient database for all our products. Product Consultants are now able to provide you with a printed list of our products without certain ingredients, such as peanuts, that would if ingested, trigger food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances.

There are approximately 350 of our 418 products that do not contain or come in contact with peanuts or tree nuts.

I trust you will find the above comments helpful. Thank you for shopping the M&M Way!

Sincerely,
M&M Meat Shops Ltd.
Technical Services Department

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:33 pm 

Thanks for posting that. I've actually been avoiding M&M since we discovered our daughter's allergies. It's great to know they label for 11 allergens. I'll have to check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am 

thanks, it's great to know! I'll send my sister to check out if I can walk in, I have one just down the street now! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:06 am 
Site Admin

Wow, I've been avoiding these shops too, but now hmm...
I hope these companies realise how much business we are drumming up for them! I wonder if the administrators should ask them for a donation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:20 am 

Thanks. I've never tried any of their products. Many years ago I went in and spoke to someone and this information was not available at that time - I've never bothered to check again. I will now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:55 pm 

I have looked at the book at M&M's everytime I go in ( we avoid all fish, shellfish, peanuts and nuts). It makes shopping there so much easier and safer. The staff has always been very helpful.

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:28 am 

The lady this afternoon didn't have a clue what I was talking about :? ... She told me to contact the company... it's not because she was annoied, because she was really nice and all, but didn't know anything about "the book"... but they have taste tests all the time, so I don't think I can go in on my own without checking ahead :cry:

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:05 am 

Mylene, I'd contact head office (through their website) and explain your experience. I'm sure they would like to ensure that all of their franchises are properly furnished with all required manuals, etc. It sounds as though lack of training was the problem you encountered today....according to my emailed response, they should still be able to refer to their "searchable ingredient database" on the computer - ?? At any rate, perhaps head office could send you a copy in the mail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 am 

I'll try contacting them... because she was the manager and she didn't know anything about "the book" and a lot less about a database :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:26 pm 

I was also very impressed with M&M Meat Shops. About a year ago, I contacted them directly to discuss a specific product. I was put in touch with a woman in the Quality Control Technical Support Division, and she was AMAZING! I was really impressed with her knowledge of food allergies. Apparently she must periodically attend training specific to handling food allergies, and they take food allergy issues very seriously. At the time, I was told about the binder of information, and sure enough, our local M&M Meat Shop whips out the binder whenever I've asked. Also, the person I spoke with said they plan to have this information available on-line in the future. I haven't looked into very many products for our family, but I've found 3 things that are safe for our son:
- chicken breast grills (it must be the "grills" as the breaded chicken contains egg)
- meatballs
- perogies
My son is allergic to: peanut, tree nut, sesame, sunflower, mustard, egg, fish, green peas and pineapple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 am 

I finally stopped into one of our local M&M's and was shown the "Product Information Manual" (huge binder) -- from what I could see, it had a whole page dedicated to one product. In the bottom left hand corner of the page, there was a box showing the 11 top allergens listed with a small box beside each -- if the product contained any of the 11 allergens, the box beside it was ticked off. It was very clear. I then asked about the "searchable ingredient database" and the woman that was helping me wasn't aware of it. I offered to leave my name and number so that she could find out and let me know and she was eager to help. I got a call the next day telling me that my list was printed and waiting for me. The top of the page states, "Nutrition and Allergen Information Search Results" and then goes on to say, "These products do not contain: Peanuts, Treenuts (insert your allergens here)" and then a list of 359 products follows. It doesn't show a detailed list of ingredients by item as it appears in the store manual but at least it gives you a starting point with a product name and then you can follow up with the manual once you're in the store (in case ingredients have changed since your list was last printed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm 

I ruled out this store... they offer food samples every day :( Can't safely walk in... and the people from the new shift don't necessarly know what people from the earlier shift served :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:43 pm 

THANK YOU ETHAN'S MOM!!! :D :D :D

They are getting to know me in the store. Reach for the book before I ask. :P I've been quite fortunate that the things I have wanted to try are free of my allergens (so far at least).

Post subject: be careful
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:08 am 

I don't do a lot of M&M shopping just because my boys are picky eaters and prefer simple to multi-ingredient dishes but I do remember the binder. However, when I got home and read the box, it said MAY CONTAIN. I asked the next time I was at the store and they said the packaging was more up to date then the binder - worth checking into just in case...

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:30 pm 

we've never had a problem with the M&M's near us, they consult the book for everything that we purchase and take extra time with us.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental