You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mc Cain Foods
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:29 pm 

I phoned today to inquire about their "fruit smooth-eez" they are free of peanuts/nuts/milk/eggs/chicken. They can be mixed with soy milks so they are a good choice for us. the natural flavors are derived from the fruit in the specific flavor, ex. strawberry banana contains flavors from strawberries and bananas, the natural colors from elderberry, tumeric and annato.

However i learned that they DO NOT use a lot of " may contain " warnings. Their juice products are fine for peanuts/nuts/milk/eggs, the facility is free of these. Their fries are okay ( superfries and basic fries ). BUT, their regular smiles, and tater tots are NOT free of milk! The label shows no milk, but they are made on the same equiptment as the cheddar and other cheesy flavors. They are in the process of "adding may contain labels to many of their products because the possible risk is there, and numerous allergic consumers have requested that they be added when contamination is a possibility." I had been trying to give my milk allergic daughter smiles and tater tots for months...luckily she is a picky eater and only likes fries.

As far as nuts go they are fine...even the vending machines for staff to consume while on the job are free of peanuts/nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 pm 

wow--you can trust a company if they think of the vending machines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:25 pm 

I have contacted McCain 3 times in the last week - and not gotten any answers. I'm getting a bit ticked off at them. I wanted to find out about peanuts and sesame seeds. I've actually left messages with people not just machines. I am promised someone will call me back - but they never do. (I'm rarely on the phone, and I have call waiting - so there's no excuse.)
:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:33 pm 

i was pretty ticked at them for their attitude towards not having "may contain milk" on the smiles and tater tots. They said "yes they share equiptment, but we wash it, and we were not required by law to have a "may contain milk" warning". They went on to say the efforts that they have made to make the place peanut/nut safe...but hey lady, there are other allergies you know, and if traces of them are in your foods I need to know about it. At least I know that all their juice products are safe for us ( no dairy used in factory at all), and regular superfries are made on a line with only superfies, but I am pretty pissed about the smiles and tater tots. It seems to be coincidence that some foods actually contain what they are suppost to...and not good allergy awareness. The superfries being safe because they make so many that they have their own equiptment that they do not share with anything else, same goes for juice products.

Some companies think allergies and may contain warnings, and they think peanuts, peanuts, peanuts...great if you have a peanut allergy BAD if you have others...especially when they give the impression that they are an allergy safe company, example by removing all peanut products from staff vending machines. I have a hard time eating foods prepared by people who do not get it when it comes to the reality that allergies occur to more foods than just peanuts.

When they told me that some of their "natural flavors" were from annatto ( a seed ), I wondered if anyone with a seed allergy would be affected by that and they said "I don't think seed allergies are really that common". They told me that they were in the middle of making changes company wide to be more allergy aware, but I thought the seed comment was really stupid. I mean, if your natural flavors are from elberberry, tumeric and annatto then put that on the label...don't be secretive with your ingredients, it could really hurt that one person who is the "rare" case of allergy to seeds including annatto.