You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: plant sterols
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:58 pm 

So is "plant sterols" an ingredient we must be cautious with? It appears they are frequently derived from soybeans and sometimes from other nuts & cereal grains when added to products like margarine.

I found this ingredient listed on a new Danone yoghurt drink called Danacol http://www.danone.ca/en/products/danacol.aspx

I have written the company to request information on which plants are the sterols derived from. I so hope this type of ambiguity is cleared up when the new labeling laws finally come into effect in Canada.

[BTW, I don't know how to link it but there is another topic in this same forum section that discusses minute maid orange juice topic and that the plant sterols were derived from peanut or soybean. That information is what raised a red flag for me with the Danacol product.]

From the Fed Gov't website:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiq ... aq-eng.php
"What kind of foods are plant sterols allowed to be added to?
Plant sterols can be added to spreads, mayonnaise, margarine, calorie-reduced margarine, salad dressing, yogurt and yogurt drinks, and vegetable and fruit juices.

How much plant sterols is allowed to be added to foods? Why?
A limited number of foods will be allowed to contain up to 1 g of plant sterols per serving. Health Canada research determined the levels and ranges of foods to which plant sterols could be added without exceeding the upper intake limit of 3 g of plant sterols per day in adults and 1 g plant sterols per day in children."

I welcome any information others may have.

Post subject: Re: plant sterols
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 pm 

Reply from Danone appears below:

The sterols we use are extracted from soya and colza oils.
However, there is no risk of allergy; the process used eliminates all traces of allegens.
That is why no mention of allergy appears on the label.

Our production plan is certified HACCP (Hasard Analysis Critical Control Point); we do have many control procedures to assure the security of our products for the major allergens. If a major allergen (gluten, fish, soy, nuts/peanuts, eggs) may be found in a product, it would be mentionned at the end of the ingredient list (ex. "contains nuts" or “may contain nuts”).

I hope that you will find these facts to be useful.

Thank you for having communicated with Danone and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions or comments. It remains, as always, our pleasure to serve you.

Have a great day!

Customer service
Danone Canada Inc.