You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:55 pm 

Today I was shopping at Thrifty Foods in Victoria BC who are now a subsidiary of IGA and carry Compliments Brands. They had small bags of new potatoes (Compliments Brand) and to my surprise there was a warning label "May Contain Peanuts" :confused . I brought it to the attention of the produce manager and said there should be some additional signage as this would be an unusual place to expect this type of allergen warning. He did move one of their standard allergy warning signs over and also told me that potatoes are often grown next to peanuts! This is yet another reason for me to shop local because we don't grow peanuts here on Vancouver Island!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:06 pm 

Over the last couple years I've heard this a few times but never run into this product myself. :frightened Thanks for the heads up as I will check at Sobey's (same as IGA and also has compliments store brand)

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 pm 

I have also heard this, but haven't seen it. If the bagged potatoes have a may contain, than it's probably safe to assume the bulk ones might be contaminated as well (same could apply to other produce that grows nearby). I don't know how safe washed, whole produce would be if there was contact...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:23 am 

I assume all fruits veggies may have trace on them and wash wash wash or peel before eating whenever possible. It isn't just allergen trace but think of the hundreds of dirty hands which might have potentially touched each piece of produce as people shop!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 am 

I had a reaction to celery a few months ago but the test came back negative to celery last week...I guess this could be the same case that it was contaminated at the store :scratchy I now buy all my fresh produce prepackaged in bags and wash it very well when I get home before it goes in the fridge. This is going to make it very hard to buy local produce this summer

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 am 

Someone previously on the forum mentioned these potatoes and I searched them out at Sobey's. I read elsewhere that the small potatoes are grown in peanut shells :o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am 

:frightened Okey, is it just me, or is our part of the world crazy when it comes to food supply? We know so much better. Some things just don't make any sense at all....

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 pm 

funny thing is my son with a peanut allergy doesn't like potatoes.... hhhmmm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm 

Hyperventilating. Just googled 'potatoes' & 'peanut shells' and came up with this..

"Our field and garden are mulched with peanut shells. ............produce is grown year round in an old tobacco greenhouse that has been rebuilt using wood from old tobacco kilns in the area. We also have a 4 acres of land that is in transition from conventional to organic soil. We grow a wide variety of produce that you will not be able to find in a grocery store! Shareholders receive growing cycle details and recipes with foods received. In off season months (November-April) we offer a small share including fresh grown salad mix, cooking greens, herbs, beans and storage crops including potato, sweet potato, garlic, beets,onions, squash etc.
Produce: A large variety of cooking greens including Kale, Swiss Chard, Collards, Spinach. Beautiful Salad Mix that contains many lettuces, baby beet greens, baby chard, edible flowers and herbs. Head Lettuce, Sprouts, Tomatoes, Peppers, Ground Cherry, Tomitillo, Radish, Beets, Carrots, Okra, Kolibri, Cauliflower, Purple Broccoli, Watermelon, Peanuts, Grapes, Many Squash, Raspberry, Pumpkin, Cabbage, Beans, Peas, Zucchini, Leeks, Cucumber, Onions, Potatoes, Rhubarb, Many Herbs and much more! "

I don't mean to pick on the individual grower, as I'm sure it's somewhat common practice. But holy carp. I wonder if big retailers buy from small growers?

PA DS is a produce fiend, and can't eat enough fruits & veggies, raw and cooked. I think of them as whole, intact, single ingredient foods, unlike most things you find at the grocery store.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am 

Maybe this is the person to get in touch with... http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... _food.html
Thursday, June 23, 2011 New CEO
Quote:
As concerns over food safety have increased in recent years, the Global Food Protection Institute in Battle Creek has been able to make a name for itself as a leader in food-safety information and training.

For Julia Bradsher, joining the GFPI meant becoming part of a local, national and international community.

“That’s one of the things that GFPI is committed to: being a part of a community of action,” she said.

Bradsher steps into the role of president and CEO this week. She succeeds founding president Stephen Benoit, who stepped down in October to become CEO of Metabolic Solutions Development Co. in Kalamazoo. Like Benoit, Bradsher also will serve as president and CEO of the International Food Protection Training Institute, a part of the GFPI.

Most recently, Bradsher was CEO of the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network. She also has worked for a company that develops treatment for respiratory diseases, severe allergic reactions and psychiatric disorders, as well as a company that provides analysis and data for the biopharmaceutical industry.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy