You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Halloween treats
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:35 pm 

I'm sure his topic has been discussed before. I'm still working my way through the threads. With Halloween being 2 months away, DH and I started talking about trick-or-treating with our 2 boys and what to replace DS#2's loot with.

I plan to replace some of it with non-food items like Halloween play doh, etc, but I'm unsure of where I can buy safe food items for him. He's allergic to eggs, milk, peanuts and tree nuts. We have made orders from Ange Gardien in the past and will most likely order some chocolates through them again. Any suggestions for other safe treats? He hates gummies, so I'm thinking about lollypops, but I don't know what companies are safe for him and where to get them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: Halloween treats
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 pm 

I have found that there are more and more treats available for my daughter each year. Chips of course, licorise (Twizzlers), suckers (Wrigley's I believe I got last year), double bubble gum, chicklets, swedish berries, Mike and Ike candies (kind of like jelly beans), Skittles. These are just a few off the top of my head. Once I start to see Halloween stuff out in stores I can add more to the list. These items were okay for us last year but you would have to check labels this year again of course. I really haven't had too much trouble finding candy for her lately. I buy the Guardian Angel chocolate bars to trade for unsafe ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Jenna, Allergic Living created this list of Halloween candies - many of which are safe for dairy allergies, too.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... es-treats/

However, as ingredients can change, always check the packaging or with the manufacturer. We'll likely update this list again closer to Halloween.

Here are also a couple of great Halloween cols. with non-food ideas:

- A Food Free Halloween: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... n-you-bet/

- Allergy-Safe Treating: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... to-treats/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 pm 

Thanks for the info! We just made an order of chocolates from Aliments Ange-Gardien and and want to pick up a few more treats and some non-food related items. The lists are great! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Most welcome! :D

We'll be updating our list for the next e-NewsReport's Halloween article.

If anyone has any new finds, do let us know - just in case our intrepid editors may have missed.

Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm 

We always hand out SunRype fruit snacks - Squiggles, Fruit to Go strips, Fun Bites, etc. They are top-10 free, 100% fruit, and kids around here gobble them up like candy. We always have non-food treats available too: pencils, erasers, bookmarks, etc. as an option for anyone to take. Last year we had Play Dough (contains wheat) but I haven't been able to find mini tubs this year (yet).