You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 am 

DS is allergic to eggs, milk, tree nuts and peanuts. So far he has been unable to drink soy formula, but things with soy lecithin don't seem to bother him. We were thrilled to find some Gerber puffs that he could eat because he was having issues transitioning to solids (gagging and vomiting) and these have helped.

So now, DH and I are trying to find a bread that we can purchase for DS that is egg and dairy free. Can anyone recommend one for us?

Also, has anyone had any problems with cereals like Fruit Loops or Apple Jacks? My older DS likes to eat these from time to time and we're worried about cross contamination, etc.

Any other products that are great for snacks for babies with allergies (Aside from fruits and veggies)? There has to be more to life than Healthy Times biscuits!

To be honest, I sometimes feel overwhelmed checking labels. We have just started giving him more solid foods because he has just started showing an interest, and I worry I'm going to make a mistake. I'm so stressed about the whole thing!!!

TIA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Admin

We eat Dempsters Smart 16 bread - I'm not sure about the soy.
We also buy Dempsters frozen and ready bake french loaves as well as their tortillas.
Pillsbury crescent rolls and roll-out pie crust.
Betty Brand hamburger and hot dog buns.

Re cereal, we have eaten:
Mini Wheats
Corn Pops
Honey Combs
Alphabets
Shreddies
Cheerios
Rice Krispies
Corn Flakes
Fruit Loops
Frosted Flakes

...but she prefers oatmeal using rapid oats (Quaker).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 am 

Thanks so much! I've checked out the ingredients for some of the cereals you posted, but I was worried about cross contamination. It's very comforting knowing the your DD hasn't had an issues with them considering they have the same allergies. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:14 pm 

Jenna wrote:
To be honest, I sometimes feel overwhelmed checking labels. We have just started giving him more solid foods because he has just started showing an interest, and I worry I'm going to make a mistake. I'm so stressed about the whole thing!!!
:huggy You are here....such a good place.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy