You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cabela's
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:17 pm 

I recently went to the new Edmonton Cabelas and was shocked to discover that they are roasting peanuts onsite, inside the store. Yet ALL the products that are available for sale at that location DO NOT contain labels identifying them as being contaminated with peanut oil. When peanuts are roasted they release oils into the air, these oils are then captured by dust particles, which then makes the oil settle onto all surfaces within the store. Not to mention the people eating the peanuts in the store and then touching the products available for sale, and in the process adding more contaminants to the product.

The store has placed a very small sign on an outer window stating that peanuts are being roasted on the premises. This sign is not noticable, and my concern is for some parent or grandparent who didn't see the sign because the door was open blocking the view of the sign and some poor child has a reaction to the peanut oils in the air and then goes into anaphylaxis and dies on the floor of the store. The other concern is that ALL the products are not labeled as being contaminated with peanut oils. This poses a risk, if someone buys another person a gift from the store and then gives it to an allergic person, who upon contact with the packaging, or clothing goes into anaphylaxis and dies. The un-allergic person giving the gift would have no idea that there was peanut oil on the packaging/clothing, and reading the label in-store or offsite it does not list the allergen.

Anaphylaxis and food allergies are a matter of life and death, not a matter of choice or convenience. It is for this reason that most stadiums and other venues no longer serve any nuts. By choosing to roast peanuts on the premises Cabelas is in my opinion willfully discriminating against a growing number of the population. This population is ironically Cabelas best customers. Most people with food allergies hunt, garden, process our own fruits, vegetables, and meats, and Cabelas had been in my opinion the best place to get the supplies and products I required to process my own harvests. Unfortunately Cabelas is making me choose between living, and being able to purchase their products. As much as I like Cabelas products, my life is worth more.

Post subject: Re: Cabela's
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:34 pm 

:frightened Thanks for passing that along....I am in the midst of purchasing an old van for fix up (we are anxious to do the paint job - if you remember the vans in the late '70's 8) ) and was planning to go there for all the camping things I was gonna need (heard about the opening on the radio) but will not now just on principle......although I will get in touch and let them know....they may rethink that if they get educated on it.

or we could pickett the place :lol: there is some of that going on in Cold Lake at the Walmart. different issue but still... :banana I love that the 70's are in style again :happydance

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 pm 

Well, I just called the 800 # on the website and got Winnipeg H/O. They said good question and passed on the direct # so I called there and they said no, no peanuts, but they thought almonds, cashews and some other kind of nut maybe. Anyhow, I asked it if was a thing thoughout all their stores and they answered yes.

I'm still not gonna shop there and if anyone wants pickett signs I have some we can use. :wink: the weather here is really great.....and I'm too old to do it like the old days in the cold....but you know I'm GAME. pun intended and yes I laugh at myself :rofl

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 pm 

We bought chairs from there last year in Winnipeg. Will definitely check if they are roasting anything here!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:31 pm 

:dungetit perhaps we should protest outside the store to raise awareness and to show Cabelas that it is a serious issue and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:37 pm 

Hmmmm make me wonder if H/O has any clue as to what happens in their stores. The Edmonton, Alberta store IS ROASTING PEANUTS ONSITE. I saw it with my own eyes, my husband is the one allergic and I went ahead with a friend to check out the store because I heard there were nuts being roasted on the premises. I also spoke to a manager, who could not comprehend no matter how hard I tried to explain it that the oils in the air are contaminating every single item in the store. I also tried to express the legal issue for Cabelas, especially seeing how it has been brought to their attention on more than one occasion, that they are now responsible for any reaction that occurs due to contact with their unlabeled peanut contaminated products.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:12 pm 

:thumbsup eekulak!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 pm 

I've never heard of this store but boy am I glad I haven't. OMG I can imagine not just the particles in the air but all the trace on every item in the store as I assume people buy these nuts to eat while they shop. :frightened :verymad
Thanks for posting about this eekulak

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:39 am 

I went to Cabela's today (without my son) and noted the small sign outside the entrance is a warning that their food contains peanuts and other nuts. Once inside the store the roasting cart was serving cashews, almonds and another tree nut that I am blocking on...,maybe pecan but not positive. I asked the roasting staff if they ever roast peanuts there and he said no...just those three tree nuts.

I only talked to one staff person and not a manager...just thought I'd pass along this info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:32 pm 

WHY do they do this? :banghead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:32 pm 

Deleted again...another post that doubled up???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 am 

Jennifoo wrote:
I went to Cabela's today ... inside the store the roasting cart was serving cashews, almonds and another tree nut that I am blocking on...,maybe pecan but not positive. I asked the roasting staff if they ever roast peanuts there and he said no...just those three tree nuts.

Interesting that we have only been to Cabela's a couple of times but did not like it - really dislike hunting paraphanelia so love my MEC for outdoorsy items! We definitely did not see the roasters at Cabelas but for curiousity I called our local store in Winnipeg and they told me that they did roast nuts last year but do not do it anymore. The only nuts in the store are in sealed containers.

If you want to shop at Cabela's perhaps you could lobby your local store to smarten up!