You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi,

Just thought I would let everyone know that Allan Peppermint Candy Canes are safe. It says right on the package. "This product does not contain peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs wheat or glute. It has been manufactured in a peanut free facility"

I am so happy about this. I had previously purchased life brand candy cane not even thinking about reading the labels cause seriously why would wheat or gluten be in candy canes. Luckily I read the label right before someone was about to eat them.

It was hard to find the allan candy canes but I found them at Zellers and they were on sale. :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:19 pm 

There are 7 boxes of them in my house because as soon as I see them I buy them! I got ours at Superstore. We make candy cane bark with white chocolate and crushed candy canes and it is yummy! I buy them early because the peppermint seem to disappear faster and cherry or orange candy canes just seem wrong to me :pipe

Many candy canes have May contains for nuts as well --- in middle school, a staff wanted to hand candy canes out and my daughter asked to read the label which surprised the staff until my daughter showed her the Tree nut warning...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 pm 

I think Allan candy canes are at Shoppers also. I love love love the butterscotch ones! They come in a package with French Vanilla, and gingerbread. There were Regal ones shaped like hockey sticks at Zellers with no allergens listed too but I never investigated them further.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:05 pm 

At the shoppers in my area they only have the flavoured candy canes not the peppermint ones they only carry their life brand which aren't allergy friendly.

I forgot about my baking I'll have to go and get more. I agree peppermint is the true candy cane flavour :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:49 am 

I finally found Allan peppermint candy canes at London Drugs! They had a whole shelf full of them - no weird flavours in sight. And they were on sale. Woohoo!

Now... to hear back on whether or not they are soy-free... I left a message this morning. (One of my Brownies has a soy allergy and I am wondering if she can have a candy cane or if I need to bring another treat for her.)

Edit: Heard back from Allan within minutes of leaving a message and e-mail. Here is what they said:
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for inquiring into our products, your loyalty is most appreciated.

The vegetable oil used in Allan Candy Canes is from cottonseed or soybean oil. The soybean oil in our candy canes is highly refined, it is bleached and deodorized therefore the protein was removed from the oil.

It is at the consumer’s discretion to decide if they can consume the canes based on individual allergy severity and sensitivity. Please contact your physician if you are not sure.

Thank you,

I won't risk it, so the kid with soy allergies will get another treat - some Enjoy Life cookies. The other girls will have that option as well so she doesn't feel too singled out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Canadian tire had Allans Cherry candy canes on sale $1.99 per dozen but the others were $3.00.
Dd can't see why anyone would flavour candycanes like toothpaste! :roll:

I'll have to tell her that the candy came first.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 am 

I have also found the peppermint candy canes at Superstore. I loaded my cart with them and now they are on my tree.

I am always said that the Great Value ones have a may contain. They are so much cheaper (even though Allan is better).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 am 

Has anyone eaten the fruit-flavoured candy cane hockey sticks by Regal mentioned earlier? I was just given a couple of boxes for my kids and would love to pass them on, but want to make sure they are safe (we are overseas at the moment, so this would be a huge treat).

Also, does anyone have an email address for Regal? I couldn't see it on the website.

Thanks!

Susan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:38 pm 

I noticed these candy canes contain "sunflower lecithin". Does anyone know if sunflower lecithin would be highly refined sunflower oil?? I'm assuming these candy canes would not be safe for our son, but I could be wrong since he is able to eat highly refined sunflower oil in foods such as potato chips or Goldfish. But he cannot eat sunflower seeds or cold-pressed sunflower oil. Any ideas?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Lecithin is an emulsifier and usually hydrolysed - e.g. wouldn't contain protein.

But in your shoes, I'd still want to call the company and ask customer service to get a reply from a senior quality assurance person (likely a food scientist).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 pm 

Give Allan a call or e-mail. They were extremely fast to get back to me when I had questions! (i.e. under an hour!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:14 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. I will plan to call.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 pm 

I found these at Toys R Us. Right near the cash registers, wouldn't you know? 8)