You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:07 pm 

Duncan Heins and Betty Crocker frostings are no longer safe to buy for those who have nut allergies.

Quote:
Manufactured on equipment that also processes tree nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:40 pm 

Oh boy! How frustrating. Not that I use them often but it was convenient to use when in a pinch. I think I'll call the company and see why they decided to make this change!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 am 

I know different areas are supplied by different plants so that might explain the may contains on Duncan Heins,....or they have changed all products????
Any Betty Crocker icing has since I can remember (where I shop) has had a warning for peanuts and tree nuts. Duncan Heins has never had a may contain for peanut/tree nuts, I've even bought some before but not to feed DS. (whew0 If all products now have a may caontain then that will be frustrating.
Things change too quickly, it is scary. The pot barley we bought for beef barley soup was safe one time and a week later we went to buy more and it had a may contain added. We DO feed that to DS.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:47 pm 

I noticed in about June they slowly started to change the Duncan Heins cake mixes, one by one. Then last week they all had " ...contact with peanuts and nuts." I could only find one on the web site that did not.

It is disppointing that they changed their manufacturing processes. I noticed that the cakes are manufactured in the U.S. now so maybe that is why.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 pm 

I thought you just meant the icing. Once DS outgrew egg I loved the fact that I could once again buy cake mixes for a quick treat. That is VERY annoying if they now have changed their production format. :x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:56 pm 

I haven't looked recently, but Betty Crocker was always okay... are they also "may contain peanuts?"

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:34 pm 

Yes they are no longer safe and contain warnings. The Betty Crockers frostings they are now not safe as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 am 

I think Duncan Hines always had the risk, but didn't put the warning.

I have used Betty Crocker after making sure it was actually safe, but haven't bought it in a long time. Disappointing that I will no longer have the option.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 am 

I was just at Wal-Mart yesterday and looked at the Betty Crocker cake mixes and frosting's because we use them all the time and they are still safe with no may contain warning of peanuts or tree nuts and they were actually on sale for $0.98. Does anyone know when they are going to switch over to say "may contain peanuts/nuts"? We bought quite a few of the cake mixes and frosting's just in case though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm 

If you check the Canadian Websites it lists the ingredients and may contains.

http://www.duncanhines.ca/products/cakes/

With the Betty Crocker I can't find it on the ebsite but I did read the ingredient list in the store. I will check again just in case I am incorrect. I will repost after shopping day on frostings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:43 pm 

Yesterday I checked at our Sobey's and Duncan Hines frosting has no may contain warning but our Betty Crocker does have a peanut/tree nut may contain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 pm 

Hi All,
Sorry it took me a while to get to it but I called both Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but here you go:

-Betty Crocker says that "it's been like this forever" and no labelling has changed. (I called the Canadian number) Canada said their labelling works like this: if a product actually has an allergen it is stated in the ingredients and then in a "contains" warning under ingreds. If a product does NOT contain an allergen but there is a risk of cross contamination, it is listed under "may contain". So according to this and the fact that she said no facilities have been changed and nothing else has changed...basically they have been products at risk of cross-contam. and just decided to start labelling for it now-although she denies it. PLUS she kept saying: "well, unless you have an actual product in front of you, that's all I can tell you." Umm, lady, I cannot buy a product that I will not eat.... :dungetit

-Duncan Hines: Similar story. Much like Betty, they label for top 8 allergens (also another reason I'm confused...isn't Canada top 11?). He also said nothing has changed in terms of where and how the products are produced. He did say their packaging has changed and that's when they decided to add the "may contain" which he said is a 'best buy" practice...meaning it's voluntary. He said it's not voluntary when a product contains the allergen but that if there's risk of cross-contam. they can basically flip heads or tails and decide if they feel like putting it on or not (ok, those are my words, not his). He said it is not because D.H products have nuts but because they share their facility with a 3rd party manufacturer who has nut products. Also said that the lines are thoroughly cleaned...you know the drill.

Well, that's it. I'm pretty disappointed that this kind of thing is still happening. I even told them that they are losing a lot of customers (doubt they care, but it was worth it to try).

Hope this info helps!

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

~Lisa~ wrote:
Hi All,
...PLUS she kept saying: "well, unless you have an actual product in front of you, that's all I can tell you." Umm, lady, I cannot buy a product that I will not eat.... :dungetit

This is what customer service telephones are for in my opinion.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 am 

~Lisa~ wrote:
Betty Crocker ... said their labelling works like this: if a product actually has an allergen it is stated in the ingredients and then in a "contains" warning under ingreds. If a product does NOT contain an allergen but there is a risk of cross contamination, it is listed under "may contain".

Checked at Sobey's in Winnipeg yesterday and no May Contains on our favourite Betty Crocker milk chocolate frosting. From the company's comment above I would hope that means it is safe for tree nut allergies.

If I cannot call from the store I do record the UPC info and product name because many of these companies have multiple facilities and I want the best information I can get. I won't rely on people answering a phone to be able to figure it out for me. Wish they could but not likely! The best company I have found for info is Superstore - they quickly have all info about their PC products.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:29 pm 

So, if I read this correctly, there has been no change in manufacturing processes, just labelleing. The actual product is no less safe than before, but now seems less safe. And yet has been consumed by many people without issue. The whole thing makes my head hurt/spin. I have never used a mix, the preschool teacher will be using one (said I could bake one here), so I'm checking into it.