You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tuna
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:22 pm 

I feel I may be looking for a needle in a haystack but I will try. I am looking for the tuna that has the mayo pre mixed in the tin, for ready use. Must be pn/tn/coconut and SHELLFISH free. I want to have this when I travel this summer so I have something that may replace a meal if I dont feel the meal is safe. So far I have noticed that the packages seem to be made in another country and imported to Canada. I am ok if the crackers (that often come with it) are not safe I can bring ones I can have separately. If anyone knows of some safe ones before I start my detective work any information would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Tuna
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 pm 

No suggestions but I hope you can find a safe option!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:13 am 

Paige..how is the tuna hunt going?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 am 

So I have called
Clover Leaf-1-877-893-9880
Compliments1-866-672-0061
Gold Seal1-604-681-0211
Ocean's1-604-242-0030
(I have listed them in case anyone else wants to call)
You know what it is like when you call a company and you still don't feel 100% comfortable with what they have to say. That is how I feel. I think since they are not at the plant and they are also calling to get information it starts to feel the the "telephone game". By the time it gets to me, do I have a clear and honest picture as to the factory practice. Not sure. I think I can trust about p/n and tree nuts but I am a little concerned about shellfish. If I am feeling bold I could try some at home but with cross contamination you can never really trust the next tin. In the summer I will not want to be taking any chances with this while I travel, as I will be in a place where there will not be any medical help except my personal epi pens for some hours at a time.
So for travel I will stick with some other safer options. If anyone is interested in these or other tuna companies and find a confident answer comes from any company, please do tell.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 am 

When I find companies are giving me the run around, not a direct or full answer or playing phone tag I email. I always find that their answers are a bit more direct and clear as they KNOW once on paper they can't back track and hum and haaa. BUT...be sure to break down what you want to know in a point form format with a space between every question - or they tend to just answer the first question and conveniently ignore the rest.
Good luck with the tuna hung! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:11 pm 

Thanks BC. I finally got more information back from Cloverleaf. They did email me!

From ConsAffairs@cloverleaf.ca

Dear Mrs.

Thank you for your recent inquiry about our Clover Leaf Solid Light Tuna in Olive Oil and Clover Leaf Flavoured Tuna, Lemon and Dill.

We recognize you or someone you know may have allergies or sensitivities to certain foods. Clover Leaf wants you to make informed decisions and to feel safe about the products you purchase. Clover Leaf products that may contain ingredients which could cause allergic reactions in people who have those sensitivities.

There is no peanut, tree nut or coconut in either of the above products. Our Clover Leaf Flavoured Tuna, Spicy Peanut Satay does contain Peanuts. This product is produced at the end of the line and the facility and the air in the facility is completely cleaned to remove any traces of peanut.

Both our Clover Leaf Solid Light Tuna in Olive Oil and our Clover Leaf Flavoured Tuna, Lemon and Dill are processed in tuna only facilities. No shellfish are processed in these facilities.

For a full list of allergens please visit our website at:
http://www.cloverleaf.ca/en/health-well ... awareness/

visit our web site www.cloverleaf.ca and reinvent fast food with new Clover Leaf Take 5 recipes created by chef Michael P. Clive. Using just five ingrdients, you can create nutritious, tasty meals that are ready and on the table in five minutes!
Thank you

SK
Clover Leaf Consumer Affairs
Clover Leaf Seafoods
Markham, ON L3R 0G4
1-877-893-9880

That is certainly the best information I have so far. Can't say I am really interested in Lemon flavored tuna but I just wanted all information. I just would be nice to have more than a cookie to travel with.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

Just bumping this. I noticed the Tuna in Satay the other day, and it made me suspicious of all of their other products.

I am surprised that they list all of the other flavoured tunas as coming from the same plant, yet there is no warning on the cans. Is this legal with the new allergy labelling laws?

I have been buying the Oceans Snack Kit (with the crackers).

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 pm 

OH NO!!! :frightened

I just looked up the Ocean's Snack Kit, and the website says the crackers are processed in a plant that also handles peanuts..but there is NOTHING on the package to indicate this!!!

I am going to send them a letter, does anyone have any useful info I can provide?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:24 pm 

I can't help with the tuna, but when I'm traveling I always take beef jerky or turkey jerky with me. They are low in fat, pure protein and don't go bad on you.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:21 pm 

ccarso, can you tell us where you buy beef or turkey jerky? Is it canned? I've never bought it, so I don't know where to look. Sorry to hijack this thread...

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:28 am 

Sorry, just saw this.

I buy Jack Links jerky. You can buy it at grocery stores, gas stations etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Yep, you can buy Jack Links jerky at Canadian Tire, Walmart, many grocery stores and at several conveniece stores or rest stop along the highway such as Nicholby's.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 pm 

Im not sure of the brand but I purchased beef jerky at Costco last summer (they still carry it) for a trip. It was in nice small packages, two or three different flavors, plain and teriyaki. It was good. pn, tn, and coconut free.