You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:04 am 

Just spoke with a company rep this morning. I found their chocolate chips a few months ago labelled as "allergen free" and I finally got around to calling about them. The rep told me that the chocolate chips are free of the top priority allergens. I called specifically about milk, peanut and tree nuts. It is terrific to have another milk free chocolate option. Camino has the regular sized chocolate chips which Enjoy Life doesn't. Camino also has safe baking chocolate bars as well. Their website has lots of product information also. http://www.lasiembra.com/camino/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:21 pm 

They never used to be safe, with multiple allergen warnings. Is the facility free from peanuts, tree nuts, and dairy, or just the line?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:14 pm 

Yes - an allergen free facility. Check out the information on the website. There are products that contain traces but they are clearly labeled. I suggested to them that they clarify what "allergen free means" and they indicated that would fix this on their next run of labels. The facility is free of the top priority allergens. I confirmed that the chocolate chips were milk, peanut and tree nut free.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:26 pm 

I found them today and the chocolate baking squares say 'Free of priority allergens' on the front and 'Manufactured in a facility free of gluten and of the priority allergens: wheat, dairy products, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, soy, seafood (fish, crustaceans and shellfish), mustard and sulphites.' Hurray! I bought one of each item to try at home. :)

So happy they made the switch. Fair trade is really important to us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:36 pm 

Glad you found them! It is very exciting to have another chocolate option. It's such an important food staple for baking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:02 am 

katec,

Thank you so much for posting this. I always like to buy free-trade when I can, and have always wanted to buy this brand. Now I can!

Soccermom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:53 pm 

Yay! I also remember their items didn't used to be nut-safe, so I was also surprised by the allergy statement when I decided to pick up a package a few months ago. I like the fair-trade aspect too!