You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 pm 

I used to buy our meat, roast etc from Sobeys but just noticed that they changed their signs on the weekend at my store so I asked about allergies and was told by the meat mgr to look around and see if I thought this was a allergy free store :verymad And if I wanted to take the risk to go ahead and buy it
So just wondering where do you buy your meat.....because I need a new store.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Health Canada does not want precautionary statements being used as blanket to reduce liability! :verymad
Quote:
Precautionary labelling should only be used when, despite all reasonable measures, the inadvertent presence of allergens in food is unavoidable....the use of a precautionary statement where there is no real risk of an allergen being present in the food is contrary to the Department's goal of enabling a variety of safe and nutritious food choices for the allergic consumer.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiq ... te-eng.php

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm 

I've been having the same problem but with Zehrs. I sometimes buy the meat there depending on my mood (if I feel like quizzing the butcher) but most of the time I "steal" from my parents who buy from a local butcher who guarantees no nuts in his shop. He will make up special kits for me of several chicken breasts and pork chops individually sealed and frozen. I can only do this once every few months since my parents are 2 hrs away from me and the butcher is another 30min past them. I have been searching for a butcher in Barrie for a while but the ones in Barrie will always tell me there is a risk of cross-contam so I don't bother. It really annoys me that grocery stores are using the may contain statements on all their products. Most of the time I buy boxed meats from the frozen section of the grocery store.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure