* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Piller's Simply Free
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:56 am 

Found a great new line of allergy safe meat products:

http://www.pillers.com/simplyfree/home.php

Piller's Simply Free*

*Free of all major food allergens (gluten, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, mustard, sesame, egg, fish, soy, sulphites).

Products:
Sliced Meats
Wieners
Dinner Ham
Sausage
Pepperoni Meat Snacks
Smoked Breakfast Ham

This statement appears under the Benefits tab on the Piller's Benefits tab:

No Gluten.No Allergens.No Compromise.

With food allergies on the rise, Piller's Simply Free offers a new line of deli meats that is free of gluten and all other allergens and contains only the finest cuts of meat and natural ingredients. Major food allergens include gluten, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, mustard, sesame, egg, fish, soy and sulphites.

Health Canada estimates that about 1.8 million Canadians may be affected by food allergies. In particular, gluten allergies are on the rise as over 300,000 Canadians may be afflicted with celiac disease and more than 2.5 million are gluten-sensitive.

Prepare meals without compromise, knowing that Piller's Simply Free deli meats meet the entire family's dietary needs and have the taste everyone can enjoy.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject: Re: Piller's Simply Free
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 am 

Just wanted to say that I emailed the company about these products, and they do make them on shared lines, at least with dairy and egg (don't know about other allergens). This is the reply I got from them:

The wieners are made on a line that also produces products containing dairy and egg.

Piller’s follows an Allergen Plan ensures that the few items we produce that contain an allergen are made at the end of the day, after the rest of our products. Following this, all of the equipment is washed, rinsed and sanitized. We have rigorous scheduling to ensure that there is absolutely no cross-contamination during all phases of production (blending, stuffing, cooking, packaging etc.) and this safeguards against allergens making their way into the rest of our products.

Furthermore, our QA department performs routine checks to ensure the plan is followed stringently .

After that I confirmed that the rest of the products are also produced the same way. I won't buy them, because I try to avoid shared lines right now as much as possible, but I know a lot of people trust companies with strict policies on cleaning/testing, so hopefully this product stands up to that.